So yeah, it happened.
Here's my issue, I don't have the CD of windows. I may be able to get a copy later this week but I was wondering if, since I DO have Ubuntu installed and can run that and access both hard drives and the windows/system32/config/ folder if there were any files I can download to place in that folder. Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

I did try something I saw on another thread where you copy the files from the repair folder to the config folder and it semi-worked. What I mean by that is that it got to the screen where there is the windows logo and the little blue load bar at the bottom, then locked up and I had to hard-restart. So I moved the old corrupted files back.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

whats happen here, are u getting an error when u tru to boot xp, what is the error? when does the error happen, on boot up? log on screen? in safe mode only? in normal mode?

whats happen here, are u getting an error when u tru to boot xp, what is the error? when does the error happen, on boot up? log on screen? in safe mode only? in normal mode?

On boot up. When I select to boot up Windows it comes up with the error "Windows cannot boot because a file is missing or corrupted in
WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM
It does not boot up at all. If you press a key it restarts the computer.

ok now we are gettign some where. can it start in safe mode. then do a roll back from system restore. if not your only option will be to get the xp cd and do a repair or extract the file thats corrupted.

no i cant start in any mode

i have same problem it is really annoying i dont have access to a windows disk either

The thing is, I think it would be easy if I could just find out which files to put in the windows folder. I am currently running linux on the same machine as we speak and I have full access to the HD and the system folder. Just not sure what to do.

That's correct, the links have similar information. My point got lost in my ramble........
You can try the instructions in either link, but you will eventually have to do a repair install to fix your situation.

i guess i will have to wait 2 weeks to get home to get the cd

seeing that u can't boot to any mode u will need to have the win xp cd to resole this. the computer error is reffereing to config.nt file in the system32 directory.

I can get to that file when I boot up linux, so I can move and edit any files I want, just not in windows.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.