Hello,

I have a netgear SC101 storage central with a 250 GB hard drive in it. I have it connected to my netgear router which allows me to back up all data on computers connected to the network. I was wondering if I would be able to access those files remotely. For example if I am on vacation and connected to to the internet I would like to be able to access the files stored on my network drive(SC101) at home.

Can this feature be accomplished?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

i beleive this is possible, one of two ways, use go to my pc, or set up the router with port forwarding and remote access using HTTP check the router config if this can be dont if not use go to my pc and access your pc as you would then you would ahve access to the file on the drive

the simplest thing to do is to use logmein.

but generally FTP is the way to go

Thanks for responses.

I apologize. I forgot to mention that I do not have a computer fixed to the network at home. I have one laptop and another family member has another laptop. So when we are out, there are no computer connected to the network at home for me to use the Logmein program through.

For some reason I think that the only way I can access the network drive at home is through another computer that would be constantly connected to the network so that I can gain access through that computer.

Please let me know I am wrong and can set some configuration that would allow me to access the network drive remotely with have to add another computer to the network.

what kinf of connections does your NAS support? is there an http or ftp support?

Not sure! How can I find out?

well, you can look in the specs, or in the webmenus, or call the product support line

Ok I think I got the information. According to netgears website the specs are
TCP/IP, DHCP, SAN

San?!!!

Storage Area Network (SAN) is a high-speed subnetwork of shared storage devices. A storage device is a machine that contains nothing but a disk or disks for storing data.

A SAN's architecture works in a way that makes all storage devices available to all servers on a LAN or WAN. As more storage devices are added to a SAN, they too will be accessible from any server in the larger network. In this case, the server merely acts as a pathway between the end user and the stored data.

oh yeah, you're going to teach me about SAN

anyhow, according to NG's wonderful and very erroneous website, this is a NAS not SAN. SAN involves fiber optical connections to HBA's in high end servers, or at leats iSCSI, not a simple home storage box.

this box has no support for FTP, though after the website stated it supports SAN I will not be surprised if it does. you can share the drive out form a PC if you set that PC up as an FTP server

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.