I have installed Symantec 8.1 on 18 XP workstations by using the NT Client install option located in the Symantec System Console. For the past month, one workstation has not had its virus definitions updated. (Definitions were being updated consistently before then). I visited the workstation yesterday and found that Symantec had an exclamation point next to the icon. I uninstalled it and attempted to re-install via the client install option again, but I received the following error:

"Unable to detect the standard network share, ADMIN$, on <computername>. The network path was not found. It will not be possible to install Symantec Antivirus client software on this machine until the machine is available and ADMIN$ network share is accessible". :mad:

Any ideas or suggestions as to how to remedy this situation would be greatly appreciated. The personal firewall in XP is turned off. Everything else is working fine; the computer is able to access everything else on the network and responds to ping. Many thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

The ADMIN$ share is a standard windows share that is automatically created. Look in Control Panel/Computer Management/Shared Folders/Shared and see if it's there. If not, something has corrupted you configuration. It should exist and point to "C:\winnt" or whatever your system folder is. You're not supposed to ever do anything with this share.

Thanks for the speedy reply, bentkey. I checked the shared folders and the ADMIN$ directory is there; I will attempt to deploy again. Thanks again for your help.

I have the same problem and the admin$ is there in the admin control panel etc... but my console doesn't see it no matter whether i'm logged in as administrator or the user of the machine...the only thing I did different with this machine than any other that I configure is it came with a 3 month subscription to Norton Antivirus and I uninstalled it so that I could put our corporate version on it so it wouldn't run out in 3 months...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:confused: thezukiman (as in Suzuki motorcycles)

double check that xp sp2 firewall. i just had the same problem with the ADMIN$ share while using nt client install from the symantec system console. I ran killfirewall.bat that i found on http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=422503 then it worked like a charm. We don't need the windows firewall in our environment - using symantec web security.

when the user rebooted the windows firewall came back on and then i lost communication with the client through symantec system center - shut the firewall off again and communications were restored. need to find a more permenent way to shut off the firewall - probably through group policy

double check that xp sp2 firewall. i just had the same problem with the ADMIN$ share while using nt client install from the symantec system console. I ran killfirewall.bat that i found on http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=422503 then it worked like a charm. We don't need the windows firewall in our environment - using symantec web security.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.