I have a remote pc on a dsl line.
it is dynamic ip and I want to access it from another location.
I have a router in place. the IP always changes is there an easy way to get the ip. it is running win 98se.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Try a service such as www.dyndns.com or another Dynamic DNS provider. What they do is provide you with a redirection subdomain such as you.dyndns.com which always points to your IP regardless of what it happens to be. In other words, they keep track of your constantly changing IP.

For example, according to their website:
The DYNDNS.COM service works using an RFC 2136 compliant update server to dynamically update DNS information on our nameservers as users' IP addresses change. When a user's IP address changes, the user runs a client program, called NamedControl, on their computer. This program connects to our update server, authenticates the user, and tells our server what the new IP address is. The update server then connects to our nameservers and udpates the appropriate records (RRs) for the user's domain. These updates are generally limited to IP address (A) and Mail Exchanger (MX) records.

The server is capable of either autodetecting the user's computer's IP address or accepting an IP address that the user specifies. Certain versions of the client software are capable of detecting changes to the IP address on their own, while others require the user to run them when the IP address changes. The UNIX based clients can be configured to detect changes with simple cron scripts. We provide full source code for our client software so that users can modify it to their specific needs.

ok thanx
But how can I get the IP so I can access the computer??
The pc for example is 192.168.1.3
I forwarded the ports I need open to get in.
does the dns always change? with dsl.
or is there a way to have the pc call me and send the IP to me.
or send it email?

see if your provider offers static ip. static ip is when it stays the same most dsl offer static ip but you have to ask for it. it will cost you extra
prices very from different providers i hope this helps

I think, I'm a little late to help you up with this issue, but you never know migth somebody else use later...

If you are connecting to Internet and you are having 192.162.xxx.xxx address is because there is a router before your computer, every router have different acces to its program setup but, I think you can use some thing like this to access modified it.

1. open your browser and write down 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1 may be 192.168.0.254 or 192.168.0.1, if this does not access your router, call your dsl provider customer support to get the way

2. Check the Public IP that your router is using for external conection.

3. Go to network configuration on your router and pray to have this option "PASSTHROUGH"

4. then you have to have a field to put your computer's name or your computer's internal address

5. set it up to enable, then the router is going to reset it self, if not you just do it saving the changes

6. Check again the external ip that your router have, and put the same IP on the computer that you want to have external access

there you go, you are done.

By the way let me tell you than that computer wont have any access troguht the same nic where you change the address, to allow your computer to go internet, get a new nic and set it up to get and internal ip.. that's it

ok thanx
But how can I get the IP so I can access the computer??
The pc for example is 192.168.1.3
I forwarded the ports I need open to get in.
does the dns always change? with dsl.
or is there a way to have the pc call me and send the IP to me.
or send it email?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.