So here is the current setup that I have done. There is a cable modem [Charter] that is connected to a Netgear switch [FVS114]. From the switch, I have ran a 50 foot cable to another 5 port Linksys switch. From that Linksys switch, I have connected a simple Access Point, and another 50 foot cable that goes to another 5 port Linksys switch. That second Linksys switch is also connected to two access points (one located near the second Linksys switch and the other located 50 feet away). All of this was done to cover wirelessly, a huge area [hotel]. For some odd reason, every local ip address I get is prefixed with 192.168.0.?? Why is there a zero in the third set? Usually I can change the gateway to allow that third set to be 1, 2, etc. but in this case, I am not able to change the gateway address in the original switch? Should I be able to change it in a typical cable modem? Also, customers will complain that they can connect to the network just fine, but the connection to the internet fails. I think all of these problems stem from a faulty cable modem. Any assistance would be helpful.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have never played with a straight cable modem before (usually a combined modem router + a switch)so I don't know if I can be any help, although the rest of the network seems efficient.
first question:
have you had wireless connectivity in the past (ie has this been working up until now)
2nd: is your hardware all admion passworded?
3 have you tested the internet connection at the modem? ie pulled the cable out from the switch, put it in a laptop and tried to connect to it there?
4: have you got another modem that you could borrow from someone to test the rest of the network?

To answer your questions, yes, I have had wireless connectivity in the past that worked just fine until presently. I have all of the equipment (modem, switches, AP's) secured with passwords and the modem connects just fine directly to a laptop. I have, however, not tried to replace the modem. Having troubleshot a lot in the past, I know that it seems that the only hardware problem, if any, would be the modem. However, what I am really trying to ask is if there is any better way to setup wireless connectivity throughout a large area, like a hotel. Thanks guys.

if you want to know whether it is the most efficient set up, then I would need a topogrphical physical map with the hardware shown.
include 2 maps. one with how the connections are now, including wireless coverage, and one showing where you need wireless.

A normal modem should not have anything to do with IP addresses, only if it is a combined router, switch or access point. I have a funny feeling someone has been playing with the settings and has changed the dchp allocations somewhere, or has turned of the ICS services, or similar on the main switch up the top. try plugging your laptop into the first switch and see if you get net from it there. (is everyone having problems or just some people, some times?) you should definitely not change the gateway settings in any of the switches - that is the "internet gateway" address. the main switch will have ip(192.168.0.1) or something, and everything else should have internet gateway as ig(192.168.0.1). it should have dchp on, everything else should have it off/ie set up as an access point.

the other thing is others may have silly setups on their laptops preventing access.- have they turned off their firewalls - they could be the issue, too. Once they are online they can turn it on again and it should auto configure for your network.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.