Hi everybody, I need your help, please.
about two years ago I was able to make my home network work with no problems, 2 or 3 computers were able to connect to internet through a router at the same time with no problems at all.

For the last two months, I am not able to connect my two computers, as soon as the second one connects to internet the other one disconnects.

I connect the modem cable to uplink port then pcs or laptops to lan ports
I also was able to connect my computers through a hub with no problems, then I got the router, been using either one and no problems, but now with both of them got the same connectivity problem.
This is what I have

Internet cable, my provider allows only one ip
puredata rt104 router, 1 wan port, 1 uplink port and 4 lan ports
one pc with win 2000 pro
one pc with winme
one laptop with win xp pro
one laptop with win98 second edition

I have checked all cables and found no problems.
No matter wich computers I connect to the router, I always have the same problem, as soon as the other one connects, the other disconnects.

I have tried a couple of things but not luck yet, such releasing renewing ip...there is a reset button in my router but I haven´t reset it yet, will it help?

Any help will be greatly appreciate

Thanks in advanced

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

It looks like your router is not switching like it should. It could be an internal setting that you could tweak (via web interface and login for your device). It could also be a device conflict...namely, your router assigning both your computers the same IP address. Open up a command prompt and check the IP address for each computer by typing 'ipconfig' and see if they both have the same address. Since it happens when you plug the second computer in...I'd be more inclined to say it is an IP conflict than anything...let us know what ipconfig yields.

TKS

Do both pc's keep a link light on the whole time? Can they ping each other while only one can access the internet?

I checked with www.puredata.com and they don't show any updated firmware available for your router, or any FAQ/knowledge base answers concerning your problem. It may be worth a shot to try a different router just to see if it works.

If you need to replace the router I suggest you try a Linksys and Netgear. If money is no object the Cisco PIX 501 is a dandy little firewall with four LAN ports.

Hi everybody, I need your help, please.
about two years ago I was able to make my home network work with no problems, 2 or 3 computers were able to connect to internet through a router at the same time with no problems at all.

For the last two months, I am not able to connect my two computers, as soon as the second one connects to internet the other one disconnects.

I connect the modem cable to uplink port then pcs or laptops to lan ports
I also was able to connect my computers through a hub with no problems, then I got the router, been using either one and no problems, but now with both of them got the same connectivity problem.
This is what I have

Internet cable, my provider allows only one ip
puredata rt104 router, 1 wan port, 1 uplink port and 4 lan ports
one pc with win 2000 pro
one pc with winme
one laptop with win xp pro
one laptop with win98 second edition

I have checked all cables and found no problems.
No matter wich computers I connect to the router, I always have the same problem, as soon as the other one connects, the other disconnects.

I have tried a couple of things but not luck yet, such releasing renewing ip...there is a reset button in my router but I haven´t reset it yet, will it help?

Any help will be greatly appreciate

Thanks in advanced

If you dont mind, may i ask your speed, it could be from 256k up to 3mb to even faster.. alot faster. But with a router they recommend a 3 mb service, if you have slower it will not connect 4, never mind 2 pc's with a fast connection (or any onnection at all). It seems your running a pretty good size network in your home, i would suggest you upgrade you cable speed, if its charted just pay 10 more dollars and you get a 3mb, but if you got cash.. t1, t3 etc. Good luck.

thanks w1r3sp33d...
yes both computers keep the link on at all times and ping each other as well, except that one does not get internet connection, if I release/renew ip on the one that gets no connection,it does inmediately, but the other one that previously was connected, disconects.

thanks

thanks sphyenx...
I have no idea about my speed, when connected with router it shows 100.0mbps, without router 10 mbps.
I never have a problem before connecting my 4 computers to the internet, but usually I only connect 2 or 3, no problems at all.

I have this problem in the last 2 months, could be my router? even if both computers keep the link on,can ping each other and see each other in the network?

Thanks for your help

Can you get your hands on another router to test with? If so I suggest you swap out the Puredata and see if the problem exists without it in the mix.

From what I am hearing, I have the router as suspect #1.

I connect the modem cable to uplink port...

Technically, the modem should be connected to the WAN port of the router; the router's uplink port is for stacking/chaining the router with another router/switch/hub.

This is what I got from ipconfig

win xp pro laptop

ip 24.100.126.68
subnet mask 255.255.248.0
default gateway 24.100.120.1
dhcp server 24.153.22.139

win 98 second edition
ip 24.100.127.103
subnet mask 255.255.248.0
default gateway 24.100.120.1
dhcp server 24.153.22.139

Your router does not appear to be correctly configured for NAT (Network Address Translation).

The IP addresses listed above by ipconfig are not addresses in one of the private, non-routable address ranges; they are Internet-legal addresses registered to Rogers Cable. You will need to configure the LAN-side of the router to assign private IP addresses to the machines on your network instead of "passing through" the IP settings obtained from Rogers. As it stands, your router appears to be acting as a simple switch, and as Rogers only assigns/allows you one IP, that configuration will not work. Typical internal (LAN-side) NAT schemes usually use IPs within the private 192.168. or 10. address ranges.

See the following article for more information on NAT and why you need to use it if you are going to have more than one computer connected to an ISP which only allows you a single IP:

http://www.jpsdomain.org/networking/nat.html

Hi,

This is a Technical Issue wherein you r connected to Internet through Dialup as there is router provided by ISP which is .35 modem on client side and .62 on ISP side .Could you open your modem connectivity and make changes in modem with a speed of 36000 it will work and moreover check with your ISP how many IP's are provided i mean for how many systems they provided Internet .I hope there is only one IP provided that is y it is disconnecting now and then when u try to connect another system to internet .IPs will be assigned from ISP ranging from 192.168.0.1 to 3 systems 192.168.0.3 or so on.CHeck with your ISP how many IP's have been allocated to you and might be the leased for IPS might be over you need to renew them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.