I have a Belkin N router that connects to two desktop machines (via Ethernet cables) and one laptop (usually via wireless, but can be connected by cable as well) on one side, and to a Zoom DSL modem on the other side. I can connect to the Internet with one of the desktop machines and with the laptop (either wireless or wired), but not with the other desktop machine.

The laptop is running Ubuntu 8.10, and the desktop that does make the Internet connection is running open SuSE 11.1 and Windows XP (dual-boot). All three of these connection options are configured with static IPs.

The other machine has been formatted at various times over the past few months with openSuSE 11.1, Centos 5.2, and Fedora 10. I have not been able to connect to the Internet on any OS on this machine. I have configured the machine to accept a DHCP assignment at times, and to use a static IP at times. Neither has been successful. When I run the ifconfig command, I'm told that eth0 on the reluctant machine is UP.

From that machine, though, I can successfully ping both the router and the other computers. I can also use the browser on the reluctant machine to read and change the settings on the router.

The two desktop machines are sharing IO devices through an IOGear USB KVM switch. I have tried connecting with both computers running, and with just the reluctant one running. No joy.

So it appears that the reluctant machine is on the local network, but it, alone among its peers, cannot see the Internet. Any ideas where I might look for the problem?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

do you get name resolution when pinging google.com?

No. If I ping the domain name, with or without the 'www,' I get "unknown host." If I ping 216.239.32.10 (one of Google's IP addresses), I get "Network is unreachable."

Looks like a resource restriction problem on the uplink between Belink and ADSL modem.

NAT table on the Belkin full ? Or maybe you "parental controlled" the box'es mac address ?

Looks like a resource restriction problem on the uplink between Belink and ADSL modem.

NAT table on the Belkin full ? Or maybe you "parental controlled" the box'es mac address ?

Hey, thanks for the input! As to the PC, that's a negative. Parental Control is OFF and all my computers are on the Belkin's white-list.

I don't know about the NAT table -- That is, I know what NAT stands for, but as far as finding it, reading it, editing it -- I'm totally in the dark. I've been poking around the Belkin's configuration menus for about a half-hour since reading your suggestion, and I've been looking for guidance via Google, but I haven't found anything that looks useful. Any suggestions as to where I might learn more about working with the Belkin's NAT table?

Belkin doc ?
Also verify the default gateway on the isolated box, one never knows you forgot to point it to the Belkin.

Or maybe ... do your PCs receive DHCP addresses from Belkin, or do they PPPoEoA out to the internet ? DHCP addresses are usually in the range 192.168.*.*

Found some doc on www.belkin.com
The way NAT is represented on the web GUI 192.168.2.1 is "Virtual Servers" and "Client IP Filters"; I suggest you leave both blank.

Change the DHCP lease time to something short, e.g. 15 min, save the config, and then completely power-recyle the Belkin. Then stop-start all the network interfaces '/etc/init.d/network restart' on lunix Disable-Enable on Windows. We do this to avoid that one of your boxes relmembers the inifinite lease time that is the default setting, followed by an unnoticed address clash.

Also doublecheck your firewall and routing table settings. If you've been banging around that box that much, you're probably setting those by rote; read your work through once again to make sure you're both telling the machine how to connect the dots and telling it to let the dots connect. (I've spent some worried hours being bit by that.)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to copy them into a file on my HDD in case of future need. As it is, though, I re-installed my OS (for other reasons) and found that the box is now connecting to the Internet just as though it were a normal machine.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.