I am going to home network. I am really unsure on how to make all the connections. Also is there any special software that I should have? What are the steps in making a network connection with the mac computer?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi,

I've done this with success using windows machines but also using a mixed setup of a Powermac G3, Dell Laptop, and P4 PC with a Linksys Wireless Router and Cable Modem.

If you haven't already purchased the router, I suggest you NOT purchase any Microsoft Router. Microsoft routers require you to install a proprietary network application that manages your network from a Windows PC only. Most other routers including those made by DLink and Linksys can be managed from any machine with a Web browser.

There isn't anything special you'll have to do with your Mac to connect it to the network , unless you are not running OS 10.2 or higher. Mac OS 9.1 to 9.22 can only be connected to PC networks with the addition of some software. If you are running Mac OS Panther, it's easy to do and I would highly advise you to upgrade your Mac to Panther before adding it to your home network.

Plug in the power cable to your router and cable modem and connect all of the ethernet cables to the network ports (probably four) on back of the router and the other ends to your machines. Connect an ethernet cable to the "WAN" port on back of the router and connect the other end of the ethernet cable to the Cable Modem's ethernet port. Power up everything. Depending on whether your Internet service provider assigns you a static address or uses DHCP, you'll set that up in the router settings. Read the directions when setting up the router and it will tell you how to do this. If your ISP has given you static IP address information you must enter it into the settings using your router manufacturer directions. Look for DHCP settings and follow the directions to insure that is set up properly.

In all of your computer's network settings, make sure that you set TCP/IP to DHCP for network addressing and your router will assign addresses to all of your machines automatically. Once this is accomplished, you'll be able to share files, printers, and Internet access with ease.

Plug in the power cable to your router and cable modem and connect all of the ethernet cables to the network ports (probably four) on back of the router and the other ends to your machines.

just remember msmw11 that when u pwr the equipment up its best to pwr up the cm (cable modem) 1st, wait for it to gain bloc sync (connection, bs) & then pwr up the router... if u need to reset, my preference is to pwr dwn cm (NOT stand-by mode if available), then router, wait 30 secs, pwr up cm, wait 4 cm to gain bs, pwr router; wait 4 router to sync & test www connection (preferrably via Netscape or IE over AOL) - if no connection either release/renew ip or simply restart pc.

Aeinstein please use REAL english here >.> its hard enuf to under stand shorthand

then get a book on short hand or dont read my posts

i was asking nicely...

anybody w/a room temp iq can figure out what i posted

BigMax, What you describe with a Linksys router, a G4 desktop running either Panther or Tiger, and a PC running Windows XP does not work. Spent over 10 hours myself, and 1 hour on the phone with a couple of very nice competant Indian technical assistants at Linksys, and we all concluded that there was an OS conflict. The Mac works through the router, the PC works through the router, but both together will not work. If the Mac is connected, the PC give a line busy error, while if the PC is connected the Mac gives a cable not connected error. I can switch back and forth between computer without having to repower either the modem or the router. This was tried with automatic settings as well as static settings on the PC. This is using an ISP connection via PPOe, not DHCP as you describe in your post. Could this be the problem.. Seems the only logical conclusion is an OS conflict. If you have any wisdom that can resolve this problem I will be impressed and grateful. Were life so easy for Mac users in a PC world. Kokopelli

BigMax, What you describe with a Linksys router, a G4 desktop running either Panther or Tiger, and a PC running Windows XP does not work. Spent over 10 hours myself, and 1 hour on the phone with a couple of very nice competant Indian technical assistants at Linksys, and we all concluded that there was an OS conflict. The Mac works through the router, the PC works through the router, but both together will not work. If the Mac is connected, the PC give a line busy error, while if the PC is connected the Mac gives a cable not connected error. I can switch back and forth between computer without having to repower either the modem or the router. This was tried with automatic settings as well as static settings on the PC. Seems the only logical conclusion is an OS conflict. If you have any wisdom that can resolve this problem I will be impressed and grateful. Were life so easy for Mac users in a PC world. Kokopelli

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.