I've bought a OvisLink 802.11G Wireless Router (WL-5424AR). I hyave set up and completed the web wizard and my PC can detect the wireless network. It has a speed of 54Mbps and the signal is excellent but the status has limited or no connectivity. I have tried to repair the connection but Windows is unable to renew my IP address. Can anyone please help me? It's really stressing me out.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You may have already done this but you could try;

Start - Run - type "cmd" (without ")
at the C:\ type;

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

If this doesn't help, you may want to configure manually. You'll have to checkout the properties of your connection, and then select properties of TCP/IP in "This connection uses the following items". You'll need to know all the details for the IP settings though.

Hope this helps

Thankyou. When I turned on my PC today, it was connected to the wireless network but needed the security (WEP/WPA) key to get online. I did that, using the code generated when I set up a wireless network wizard. Then everything started going wrong. I couldn't connect, then tried through my modem and still couldn't get online. It transpired I had a winsock error and eventually I was able to sort it out. I have been told to back up all my data, do a full system restore and try to do the wireless connection straightaway.I feel that's a bit drastic and I ahven't a clue how to back up all my files. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You may have already done this but you could try;

Start - Run - type "cmd" (without ")
at the C:\ type;

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

If this doesn't help, you may want to configure manually. You'll have to checkout the properties of your connection, and then select properties of TCP/IP in "This connection uses the following items". You'll need to know all the details for the IP settings though.

Hope this helps

Thankyou. When I turned on my PC today, it was connected to the wireless network but needed the security (WEP/WPA) key to get online. I did that, using the code generated when I set up a wireless network wizard.

Figure an easy but long password. This will be your ASCII key. Make sure the length is right for whatever WEP key length you select.

Go back into your configuration of the OvisLink router, and manually enter the same ASCII key into ALL key locations (Key 1, Key 2, etc.), but only use Key 1, if there is such option.

Then go to your workstation/PC and enter the same exact ASCII key into the WEP Key 1 area.

If the router software will not allow the ASCII key, make sure once you generated the HEX key, you copy it to a text file, then use that text file to paste it into your WiFi client setup. This way you cannot make mistyping mistake. Don't forget to remove leading and trailing white spaces.

If you pretty much locked yourself out of the Router, reset it to manufacturer's configuration, and start from scratch.

If there is a serial port on the router then you might be able to manage it through that, without having to reset it.

I have been told to back up all my data, do a full system restore and try to do the wireless connection straightaway.I feel that's a bit drastic and I ahven't a clue how to back up all my files. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would love to beat helpdesk people senseless who suggested this. It's like telling you must change your oil in your car to fill up the gas tank. Yes, they are both in the car, and they both are related somehow... but just to fill up the car?! :evil:

Most likely
a. you mistyped the key - they tend to be long and cumbersome in HEX
b. some WiFi Clients/Routers have a problem if the second and third keys are not entered. Don't know why, but can't hurt.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.