Due to where I live I can't get cable/dsl but we have a wireless service, its not a cell based service, its an antenna with a line running directly into my house. If I plug the line directly into a computer I get service. When I have it plugged into my computer and I do ipconfig/all heres the info I get

IP Address 192.168.4.53
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.4.1
DNS Servers 24.247.15.53

When I have the wire plugged directly to my computer and I can let the computer obtain ip/dns automatically it works. If I switch it to manual and use the above settings it also works. But I have tried both automatic and manual with the router and it does not work...and I did remember to turn the computer back to auto detect when I put the router in. Also the router detected that I had a static IP when I first started it up and the router seems to be able to connect to the internet since it went through a firmware update without spitting out an error. Also this is the 2nd router I've tried so its not a defective router. I would appreciate any help you guys could provide, thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You should be able to set the router up manually. If it is a Linksys, D-Link, netgear or other brand the router is probably has a local address of 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. You can easily find out and configure the router with this:

1) Plug the router WAN port into the internet connection.
2) Plug your computer into one of the lan ports and if needed do a repair.
3) Run ipconfig and get the settings for the routers address since it is now your gateway. For exaample if ipconfig shows:

IP Address 192.168.1.100
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers 192.168.1.1

4) Open a browser and go to the IP address for the router which is the gateway address. (in the above case it would be 192.168.1.1)

5) You should get a login prompt and the normal default Login:Password are one of the following combinations depending on manufacturer (and <Blank> means leave it blank):

admin:password
<Blank>:admin
<Blank>:password
admin:<Blank>
password:<Blank>

If it not one of those check the manual or the mfg website.

Once you get in set the WAN for Static IP and put in the information you collected:
IP Address 192.168.4.53
Default Gateway 192.168.4.1
DNS Servers 24.247.15.53

Set the LAN for DHCP an make sure it is set for router and not gateway.

Let me know how it goes. Send the router type if this does not work or if you have a modem of some sort between you and the incoming line.

Can you plug in different computers and they all work? Can you power cycle the antenna?

I know you do not use a cable modem, but cable modems are known to bind to the MAC addresses of the machines plugged in. To swap a device connected to such cable modems you have to power cycle the modem when you want to change devices. Perhaps the antenna is doing something similar?

i am also having hard time installing my router to my laptop.. what should i do?
and one more thing, if i already install it will the network be as fast as it can?..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.