I downloaded a Linux LiveCD. It has an option to connect to a Linux server. I am wondering whether if I connect to the server (which I know for sure is not in India) will I be charged International Calling rates ;)

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

It´s a good question. I am supposing from the question that you are on a dialup connection. If you are dialing a local number, unless you disconnect and redial, it is unlikely that they will charge you long distance rates. One way to find out for certain is simply to connect for just a short time and then call the phone company, asking for time and distance charges.

If you are on broadband, then they are connecting you via an internet connection and you shouldn´t have to worry...

Thanks

hi ...

i dont think you will be charged since all of us connect to all the ftp services all the time that are out of the country .. and since the linux server is a sort of ftp .. its pretty obvious that you wont be charged ..

hi ...

i dont think you will be charged since all of us connect to all the ftp services all the time that are out of the country .. and since the linux server is a sort of ftp .. its pretty obvious that you wont be charged ..

I agree. You will be charged the normal rates charged by your ISP for Internet Access and the rates charged by the phone company for dial up access.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.