When I restart the server on my network, the mapped drives on the client computers disconnect (bacause the folders are no longer available as the server is restarting).
Is there a way to get the mapped drives to automatically connect when the server has booted back up. They do it if you double click them, but I want them to reconnect automatically as I have a visual basic program that needs to access them and it doesn't make it reconnect, it just comes up with an error.

The clients are XP Pro and the server is Windows Server 2003.

Many thanks

There has got to be million ways to skin this cat. Here is one piece of logic to consider, I haven't written a line of code in 16 years, please excuse my lack proper formating. You could check for mapping within the app you are using:

#
CHECKDRIVEMAPPING
#
IF any mapped drive = \\servername\share
THEN
1) write the drive letter to the variable DrivePath
2) goto "VBfunction1"
ELSE
1) NETUSE \\server\share / use the next available drive letter
2) loop CHECKDRIVEMAPPING
#
VBPROGRAM
-your current program here-
#

Should compensate for conflicting drives someone mapped to their laptop at home, or failing login scripts as well. Good luck, let us know what you do!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.