Hi everyone first time post, but it seems to be a pretty difficult problem. I have two computers, the first is a AMD Desktop with two NIC cards (both Netgear 10 Mb). One of the netgear cards is configured to connect to the school's T3 connection, the other is meant to connect to my laptop. Both my pc and my laptop are on XP Home SP1.

I've configured my desktop to have a user defined private IP address of 10.0.0.1 with the usual mask.

I've configured my laptop to have an address of 10.0.0.2, usual mask and entered the gateway as 10.0.0.1.

I don't want to share Internet through the two PC's, but I would like to share files. If the internet is an option I'll do it, but thats not a priority. I have Internet connection firewall off on both pc's. The PC's can detect one another in network neighbourhood and ping each other, although they can't see which folders are shared and also can't be accessed. Now usually I'm pretty good with computers so I don't like asking for help, but networking isn't really my thing and this has me stumped. Help Please!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi everyone first time post, but it seems to be a pretty difficult problem. I have two computers, the first is a AMD Desktop with two NIC cards (both Netgear 10 Mb). One of the netgear cards is configured to connect to the school's T3 connection, the other is meant to connect to my laptop. Both my pc and my laptop are on XP Home SP1.

I've configured my desktop to have a user defined private IP address of 10.0.0.1 with the usual mask.

I've configured my laptop to have an address of 10.0.0.2, usual mask and entered the gateway as 10.0.0.1.

I don't want to share Internet through the two PC's, but I would like to share files. If the internet is an option I'll do it, but thats not a priority. I have Internet connection firewall off on both pc's. The PC's can detect one another in network neighbourhood and ping each other, although they can't see which folders are shared and also can't be accessed. Now usually I'm pretty good with computers so I don't like asking for help, but networking isn't really my thing and this has me stumped. Help Please!

If both computers can see each other then the connection is fine. Check both of them to see if file sharing and security is on. After this, share any drive/folder/peripherals you want to have access to and make sure no share names conflict or are the same. Another thing to try is your remote desktop, which you have to make sure that the remote user is set up.

Gary
garytrsims@hotmail.com

What O/S on each machine?

This is Slashface's problem. I posted a resonse to it.

gsfalcon

But in resonse to both your e-mails Ogre, The systems Slashface says he is running is XP home SP1 on both machines.

gsfalcon

Just create the same user and password on both machines. When you're browsing resources, the browser service will try to authenticate with the local user on the other machine. Since you're in a workgroup, accounts created are local to just that machine... have to repeat on other machines also.

commented: that's right! +5
Member Avatar for TKSS

Make sure you're using a crossover cable to connect them inbetween one another. Otherwise they won't be able to share your connection. Also make sure that in the control panel, network connections, local area connection (highlight and choose properties) that you have file and printer sharing enabled as well as QoS packet scheduler. Also, client for microsoft networks. From there you should be able to do the following:

• share whatever folder you want to share on computer A
  • goto computer B
  • choose start, run, type \\manual.ipaddress.of.computer.A
  • a window should pop up with your shared folder from computer A.
  • this should work recursively and reversly as well. Hope it helps!

Remember that a crossover cable is necessary if you don't have a hub/router, otherwise the computer can't tell that you are trying to communicate at 100Mbps behind the network and instead thinks it has another 10Mbps connection from your ISP.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.