Member Avatar for ccyaltr

We have a cable modem linked to a router, then to 3 computers. We would like to link a 4th computer although running another cable through the attic sucks. can I take one of the cables and instead connect to another router and then split that to 2 computers? I just want to know if it is possible before I search for models of everything.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

We have a cable modem linked to a router, then to 3 computers. We would like to link a 4th computer although running another cable through the attic sucks. can I take one of the cables and instead connect to another router and then split that to 2 computers? I just want to know if it is possible before I search for models of everything.

yes, very easily done.

Member Avatar for ccyaltr

thank you, i will give it a try!!

thank you, i will give it a try!!

If you have any problems just post what the issue is. Include what cable modem and routers your using, how they're cabled along with the OS of each computer (ie: pc#1-XPHome, pc#2-XPPro...etc), as well as how each device is getting it's IP address (DHCP/assigned). Good luck!

I just tried this and had no luck. I have a linksys wirless router and would like to connect a standard router to it. any help would be great- I am not completly inept but very close.
I have a laptop that I use the wireless for and would like to have 2 desktops running off the second router

found the problem evidently you need a crossover cable from the first routers lan port to the second routers "internet" port. At least with the router I have.

i am trying 2 do this with 2 linksys routers one 2 my comp and 1 2 my xbox 360
but it says it cant connect to the DNS server

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.