hi, I have to create a network to connect 2 buildings which are 700 meters away from each other. There are few departaments in the second building which have to be connected and allocated with IP addresses, subnet mask and default gateway for each of the networks and their hosts. In my opinion the best solution for connecting these buildings is lying a fibre optic cable. What other solution for connecting them would you recommend?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Fibre Optic would be my choice. Do you have a budget? Do you have a wireless antenna? Have you try VPN connection?

It's a university question I need to solve it out... I need to choose what connection will be the best. There is no budget limit. I'm not sure if a wireless antena will work on such a big distance.

Oh i see. So you are interested in pursuing networking, right? A fibre optic network would be a good choice and it is use commonly too.

Oh i see. So you are interested in pursuing networking, right? A fibre optic network would be a good choice and it is use commonly too.

Yes, it's the best choice, but I need to provide also other solution for connecting the buildings... What would you recommend as an alternative?

i recomend this with wirelss networkin becouse optic fiber cover distance of 500m only

Fibre Optic cable can be extended. If you do not want to use that you can always use that Internet Connection Sharing or Access Points which is commonly use in buildings. 700m is damn far.

It is necessary that to Create your own professional networking system that is appropriately prioritized, is efficient to manage and delivers results and a fibre optic network would be a good choice and it is use commonly too.

ok, thank you. I decided to go with the fibre optic as a first choice. Now I have to provide the IP addresses, subnet mask and gateway for the networks and their hosts. The allocated IP address is 192.168.10.0. I have to provide the appropriare addresses for: Student services: 9 computers, 1 printer,
Administration and Finance: Finance: 4 computers (data stored separately), Accountant: 1 computer; 1 printer,
Study labs: 2 x 20 computers,
IT Support: general office 3 computers + 2 not connected computers, 1 printer,
Lecturer Staff Room: 6 computers, 1 printer
Do I need to use the DHCP server to separate the stored data?

Based on your question above. All the computers can just connect to the network wirelessly. You need to use DHCP server to stored the data.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.