hey guy, i got a project which need to perform in two server, 1 is host server and another is client server. So my SV asked me to performe it into two different VM.

I using VM player now and 1 of the VM is window XP and another 1 is window 7. i tried to connect each other by Host-only and static IP address, but unfortunate, i cant ping each other IP address, it showed request time out.

Im new in networking and also VM, any one got idea what trouble i met now or have any tutorial, information, reference can share with me?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What virtual machine manager are you using? And are you using a nat'ed or a bridged network configuration for the virtual machines?

im using VM player, my SV asked me to use Host-Only to make the connection, but some how, he dint teach me how to make it, just ask me explore myself, i have no idea with it after i tried google it a period of time, any idea ?

Host-only networking provides a network connection between the virtual machine and the host computer, using a virtual Ethernet adapter that is visible to the host operating system. This approach can be useful if you need to set up an isolated virtual network. This is not the type of network connection you want to configure if you want connectivity between two VMs. This is for a VM and the host system. Depending on the version of VMWare, the configuration is slighly different. I would suggest you visit VMWare's site and download the guide for the version you are running.

Here is an example of an article for an older version of VMWare that talks about the differences between the types of adapter settings.

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws45/doc/network_configure_ws.html

Well, you could assign each VM to its own ethernet adapter interface in the host OS, and bridge them to simulate a connection.

True and good point. it would require a bit more experience with network design and general understanding of the vm application.

If you are setting up a complex test network using virtual machines, you may want to have two independent host-only networks with a router between them.

Hi,

You need to use a Brigded Connection between VMs, you can select this option during the setup phase of the VM, at the time when you select how much RAM you want it to use, how many cores you want it to use, etc.

Hope that helps.
suley04

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.