Do phones,Apple Mac, PC follow the same TCP/IP protocol set? can we connect all of them to a single switch?
let's assume phone also has a Ethernet port to connect to switch

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Basically, yes, IP protocol stack is essentially the same. All these devices can communicate to each other.

IT's when you get into the apps that rely on that stack that you start to have issues.

Right now, I have MACs, PCs, Ubuntu, my Android phone (over wifi) all speaking to each other using ICMP and more importantly, SMB for file sharing.

it is that someone told me that MACs and PCs can't be connected like that. I mean MAC OS and windows. they can be connected to a router of course but not to a LAN Switch

That makes no sense. Whoever said that is 100% wrong.

A Switch is a layer 2 device. A router is a layer 3 device. Getting a router connection means that all lower layers are working properly.

MACs and PCs can speak the same SMB or Bonjour protocols if that's what you mean....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.