Hi

I want to map a windows 7 laptop to a windows NT pc. There are rumours that this is not possible, which i find hard to believe. Not bothered about encryption or any other security issues, just want to be able to access a NT drive via W7 &/or a W7 drive via NT.

I have tried with no success so far, been on various other forums & there are those that reckon they've done it - tried there suggestions with no success.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Alex.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What have you tried so far? What is the error message you are seeing?

From others suggestions...

On the W7 laptop (always logged on as admin):

Network security: LAN manager authentication level = Send LM & NTLM responses & v2 if negotiated.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa = DWORD lmcompatibiltylevel - 1

Minimum session security for NTLM SSP = minimum (disabled 128-bit encryption)

Obviously shared the folder i want to share, with full control to all users.

NT:
The NT pc has an application running in the foreground.
NT has an admin & user account, user being the one used unless certain changes need making that require admin permissions.
The NT pc card has dual ethernet ports, one is used to send data from the application to a separate network (in a network group with 2 other NT pcs).
The other port i use to connect a laptop for backup images & access to certain application folders. I use an XP laptop to do this & it works fine.

Suddenly i need to do this with a W7 laptop.

Error message i get from both is 'the network path was not found'.

Hope that helps.

PS - i use a NetBEUI network protocol which doesn't work with W7.

PPS - W7 64-bit

So when you try to access the NT share from Windows 7, you are using the UNC path, correct? Did you try via the target IP to rule out a name resolution issue? \a.b.c.d\sharename

I am also assuming that you have verified network connectivity, checked cable, simple PING, etc...?

With regard to the DWORD you referenced above 'lmcompatibiltylevel ', just to make sure, you did enter it as instructed, its caps sensitive, so all lowercase shouldnt work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.