Steviebone 0 Newbie Poster

I am getting pitifully poor transfer speeds from an XP box to 2003 box. Ive tried using ftp, as well as other copy programs, even cmd line.

Task manager indicates that with any single connection I top out at about 5% of the 100MB capacity. I can open several connections and transfer in parallel with each connection topping out around 250KB until the processor gives out from too many concurrent tasks.

Interestingly, I tried ftpng to a different machine which then referenced the drive on the target through a network share. For some reason this setup tripled speed per connection (750-800) but still no where near theoretical limits. Again I can open several concurrent transfers, each topping out at about the same speed until the processor gives out... the best I have achieved so far is about 20% utilization.

The drives in question are all 7200 RPM with 16MB buffers (IDE). I have also tried different controllers on the source and target machines without change.

This leaves me to believe that the nics or the switch may be the bottleneck. However, I do not understand why a net share from a different cpu was faster than straight to the target. I also fail to understand why I cannot acheive the same 20% utilization off a single connection?

I have looked around for settings in XP or 2003 that might limit individual connection speeds but nothing seemed to make a difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.