I have a simple Linksys router for my home (2.4 GHZ, 54Mbpms, Model WRT54G) however at no point during the set up did it ask me to set a password. My laptop is a mac from work and it automatically retreives the signal. Any idea on how I can password protect my system?
As you can tell - I'm not too familiar with this world. Any help is appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I have a simple Linksys router for my home (2.4 GHZ, 54Mbpms, Model WRT54G) however at no point during the set up did it ask me to set a password. My laptop is a mac from work and it automatically retreives the signal. Any idea on how I can password protect my system?
As you can tell - I'm not too familiar with this world. Any help is appreciated.

Screenshot of Linksys router (go to the password tab):

I'm new at this so I appreciate your patience with my questions. I've read other postings regarding this issue but have not been able to find a solution yet.

I have a Linksys Wireless Router (2.4 GHz, 54Mbps, model WRT54G). During installation, my mac (it's from work but I also use it at home) found the signal and just started working. It has never asked me for a password and I can't seem to find where I can change the name of the network (right now it is "linksys" which I know is not safe).

Help?

I'm new at this so I appreciate your patience with my questions. I've read other postings regarding this issue but have not been able to find a solution yet.

I have a Linksys Wireless Router (2.4 GHz, 54Mbps, model WRT54G). During installation, my mac (it's from work but I also use it at home) found the signal and just started working. It has never asked me for a password and I can't seem to find where I can change the name of the network (right now it is "linksys" which I know is not safe).

Help?

I think you want to change the SSID -- essentially the name of the network. For password, you want some sort of encryption -- WPA2 is the best, although many older devices don't support it, so you may have to go lower, like WPA. If the computer doesn't support WPA at all, you'll have to go with the very easily cracked WEP -- but at least almost any device will support it.

To get to the router setup screen joeprogrammer posted above, put the following address in your browser's location/address bar to bring up the WRT54G's login page:

http://192.168.1.1

On the login page, the username is left blank, and the default password is admin

I've merged paperbykate's two threads together, because they involve almost identical network security issues.

I'm following the instructions - name is blank, "admin" for password, and the page still won't open. Anything else I could be missing?

I'm following the instructions - name is blank, "admin" for password, and the page still won't open. Anything else I could be missing?

But you do at least get to the login page, yes?

Only the window that asks for user name and password.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.