Someone else installed my original network & router to my cable connection, so I'm tackling this for the first time. I'm running 2mPro on both machines with a new Intellinet router replacing the one that died two or three days ago in an electrical storm. I had a difficult time getting on the internet, but finally after much fuss I finally discovered that by pulling the cable and electrical plug from the modem, then pulling the electric from from the router I could reconnect, after letting things bleed out, beginning with the cable connect to the modem, then the modem power. And finally the power to the router after all the lights were functioning on the modem.

Now all that's left is each computer seeing one another completely. From each computer I can see the other's icon. When I open there is nothing but the printer driver, printer folder from Control Panel. What is missing of course are the hard drives with newly assigned letters, I think starting with H:. I've not figured out how to get the hard drives to show up and thus be accessable. Can anyone give me a clue?

Thanks, BuddyB

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Now all that's left is each computer seeing one another completely. From each computer I can see the other's icon. When I open there is nothing but the printer driver, printer folder from Control Panel. What is missing of course are the hard drives with newly assigned letters, I think starting with H:. I've not figured out how to get the hard drives to show up and thus be accessable. Can anyone give me a clue?

You have to create shares before you can access files on another system.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=286515

Use method 1. The caveat to this is that with Windows 2000, you'll have to have the same username/password schemes on each machine.

Example: machine1 with user "Bob" logs in and tries to access \\machine2\files...if the user account "Bob" is not configured on machine2, "Bob" will not get access to those files. It's vice versa for getting to a share on machine1 with user "Sue"...a user account would need to be created.

If the above doesn't work, try this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=301281

XP configuration can be seen here (way simpler, but only if you're running XP): http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxppntsh.html

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm now cooking on the networking scene. Your help actually has kind of opened my eyes to certain facets and I'm most appreciative. I've a great deal to learn in this area, but I think it will be easier to approach.
BuddyB

For the computer to be able to se each other you have to make sure they are on the same workgroup, if you have win 98 or ME go to -control pane-network-identification tab ;
If you have XP just go to control panel-system-computer name tab
If you have win2000 go to control panel-system-network identification TAB...
Just make sure they are under the asme workgruop, the computer naem don't really matter, good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.