I am hoping someone can help with my network. I have 3 computors using a 54g Linksys wireless router. 2 are desktops hardwired and 1 is a wireless laptop. The network was working fine until recently, all computer could use the network and see and exchange files and printer. The host computer is called Bobsdesk, the other desktop is called sandis and the laptop is called bobslaptop.
Now bobsdesk and bostlaptop cannot join the network but they can still use the internet. Sandis desktop can see all 3 computers and even change files between all but both of bobs get the error message "network path cannot be found". I have tried turning off all the firewalls with no success and going into the linksys control panel and redoing all the setups with no success.
Can anyone please help?
Thanks for any ideas...

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

are the accounts in the bob's private?
if you can connect to the internet, you are connected to the network, sharing resources is another thing.

are the accounts in the bob's private?
if you can connect to the internet, you are connected to the network, sharing resources is another thing.

Thanks for the reply:Actualy I have never set up any accounts on any of the computers, anyone can access them. The strange thing to me is the network "access" has worked fine for over a year and all of a sudden sandis desktop is the only one that can see the other computers on the network. I can also work and move files on any computer from sandis desktop. Why all of a sudden could bobsdesktop and bobslaptop not be able to see the other computers but sandis can see and work with both?

Hi,

Have you scanned for spyware and viruses ?

Denis

well, i would check the network settings, and go from there.

Well, I use McAfee and it always check every night?

Which version of McAfee are you running ?

I would try the following

1) disconnect router from internet

2) switch off Mcafee on all machines and see if everything is ok (apart from internet)

I have had this problem with Mcafee business edition which is supposed to allow PC's to be networked.

Denis

lookup LSP fix on google and run it on the 2 computers that are having problems just in case spyware + mcafee = broken sockets.

then try re-running the Network Setup Wizard (you would be surprised)

then try some reg edits...
;Issue this addresses: resests DNS

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache]
"Type"=dword:00000020
"Start"=dword:00000002
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters]
"CacheHashTableBucketSize"=dword:00000001
"CacheHashTableSize"=dword:00000180
"MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000fa00
"MaxSOACacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000012d

;Issue this addresses: when one PC will "see" the other PC(s), but give an "Access Denied" or "Permisssions" error.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters]
"NodeType"=dword:00000008

last but not least create a new user profile for each of the affected machines.
(again you'd be suprised)

Thanks very much for the time to make a reply, my findings are in the text below???? In Red...

lookup LSP fix on google and run it on the 2 computers that are having problems just in case spyware + mcafee = broken sockets.

then try re-running the Network Setup Wizard (you would be surprised)

then try some reg edits...
;Issue this addresses: resests DNS

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache]
"Type"=dword:00000020
"Start"=dword:00000002
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
I got to this part and then under "parameters" it only showed 2 items. I have taken a screenshot of the items and attached it. I have been told to add this is a Sony desktop?
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters]
"CacheHashTableBucketSize"=dword:00000001
"CacheHashTableSize"=dword:00000180
"MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000fa00
"MaxSOACacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000012d

;Issue this addresses: when one PC will "see" the other PC(s), but give an "Access Denied" or "Permisssions" error.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters]
"NodeType"=dword:00000008

last but not least create a new user profile for each of the affected machines.
(again you'd be suprised)

yep, you are going to need to add some of these from "scratch" the easiest way is to copy the reg keys from my post into notepad and save it as something like "Netfix.reg"

then you can right click it and select "merge" from your desktop or whatever directory you saved the file in.

it's a pain to do all of these by hand...

yep, you are going to need to add some of these from "scratch" the easiest way is to copy the reg keys from my post into notepad and save it as something like "Netfix.reg"

then you can right click it and select "merge" from your desktop or whatever directory you saved the file in.

it's a pain to do all of these by hand...

ok, I tried that and got the attached message???

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.