Well, so I decided, to buy a laptop, cheapiest evah.
And then crank it up with 32GB RAM and AMD Vishera.

So if I want to put them inside. I need to (tell whether right/give comment if required please):
1. Check out compability between processor/RAM and motherboard.
2. Check out compability between processor/RAM and Linux (this will be the OS).

1. How do I check the compability between motherboard and RAM/processor. I can't believe they listed name of processor 5 years ago that exists now. Is there like "transistor count number" or something, what do I have to look at? Something that will tell me whether RAM/processor is compatible.
  2. How do I check the compability between motherboard and Linux. Is there any type of list, which lists which of RAM/processors it does support?

Sorry about annoying you, I just, want to make sure I won't spend money on nothing and be left with some ------- of 1GB RAM or sum'.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hello,

Your problem is going to be most laptops have the processor built in to the mother board and they do not normally have options for upgrading. I have seen very few that will take different chips. If you are going to get a laptop go with the known brands and if you are really going for a bargain then check out pawn shops in the big cities. Sometimes they do not know what they have and you can get something like an i7 cheap because it says Windows 7 on the case and not Windows 8 (I know.... ). The clerk said the i7 (2.5GHz) for $299 was worth less than the core duo (2.5GHz) at $499 because it had Windows 7 and not Windows 8.

As far as the Laptop and what it can handle you are just going to have to check out the manual on line and see what it can take. Hope this helps.

Fine sir, and what about RAM? Is it upgradeable?

Hello,

That is like asking "How many people will the car hold?" Which car and which manufacturer and it depends on the car and the size of the people. On the RAM it will depend on the motherboard used in the laptop and the memory controller on the board. You have to check the manufacturers specs for each model.

Check out compability between processor/RAM and motherboard.

This will have to do with the motherboard. You have to know the exact make and model of your motherboard and lookup the technical sheet for it. Generally, they should specify for which family of processor it is good for, and what RAM technology it supports. The RAM is very likely not going to be a problem (at least, in the desktop world it never is, unless you have very large age gap between the two). The processor-motherboard compatibility will be a bit more tricky. If the new processor is of the same manufacturer (AMD or Intel) and of the same generation of processor, then there shouldn't be a problem, but otherwise, you can check, but don't get your hopes up. Motherboards are generally designed for a particular family of processors.

Check out compability between processor/RAM and Linux

That's not going to be a problem. The processor and the RAM are two core parts of the computer and they are not governed by software or drivers. They are run via the hardware and firmware on the motherboard, so, that's where the compatibility is critical. If the computer can run at all, then it means the motherboard / RAM / processor are compatible, and from that point, any operating system will run just fine.

Is there like "transistor count number" or something, what do I have to look at?

If you look up any specific processor (exact make and model) on Intel or AMD websites, you will find something like a list of compatible chipsets. The chipsets are the set of chips (that do various tasks) that are on the motherboard. If you look up your motherboard, it should say which chipset is on it. If the chipset on your motherboard is on the list of compatible chipsets for your processor, then it will work. That's it. But, like I said, it's usually quite narrow.

As for RAM, you just have to make sure it's the right technology or generation. Look for the acronyms DDR2, DDR3, or DDR4. Generally, a motherboard only supports one type of RAM sticks, and they should specify it in their specs (unless the manufacturers are complete nincompoops). Currently, the most common type is DDR3, at least, last time I checked (I don't think DDR4 has really spread yet). The good thing with RAM is that the company doesn't matter, i.e., if your motherboard takes DDR3 RAM sticks, then any DDR3 RAM stick (of any brand) will work. That's why it's a lot easier.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.