My Lenovo laptop isn't working so I dug out my old HP pavilion DV9000 to see if I could get this one up and running and the problem is this.
After I power on the blue lights come on and the fan comes on but the screen remains black then after a couple of seconds lights up around the edges with the rest of the screen remaining black. No keys work, the caps lock or num lock don't light up but the blue dvd lights bleep when touched. Tried plugging in an external screen but just says no signal. Any ideas ?

I recall those had graphic chip failures. As in either the chip or the solder work. It's not a setting, it's hardware.

Be sure to try a new CMOS/RTC battery then perform the usual reset as follows then re-test.
Remove the power, remove the battery, press and hold the power button for 60 seconds. Release, insert battery, apply power and test.

PS. Yes, these had that issue. Google for you: https://www.google.com/search?&q=dv9000+failed+graphics+chip

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.