Hi all !
I 'll a lucky guy if there 's someone who had experiences in using SQL Developer - connected with Oracle Database ( 10g Express ) ^^
I created a simple TRIGGER to print something out, for example :

create or replace trigger AUTO_OUT
      before insert on EMPLOYEE
      for each row
      begin
            dbms_output.put_line(87);
      end;

And when I tested it on SQL Developer with this :

INSERT INTO EMPLOYEE
VALUES ('John', 'B', 'Smith', '099999781', '09-JAN-65', '731 Fondren Houston TX', 'M', 30000, '333445555', 5);

It didn't work ! So I searched and found a solution, add this before the INSERT :

set serveroutput on;

But that command can't be placed inside of a trigger, and I must run it and each INSERT command together ! So I keep searching and found another direction : write some additional code to the file "glogin.sql" ( or even "login.sql" ) to set the serveroutput on each time you log in . I found that file on my system, but it 's seem I 've no sense in editing its code ... >"<
Sorry for my lecture >"< . But I really need your help ... thanx all ^^

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

once you set the environmental variable by using
SET serveroutput ON;

That will be available for the entire session.

once you set the environmental variable by using
SET serveroutput ON;

That will be available for the entire session.

Okay ... So ... It 's seem my SQL Developer may have some errors, cuz after the serveroutput was set ON, it won 't "ON" again (as I said, I must compile it and each command together, if I want to check how my triggers work >"< ) .
I 've just found out that the SQL Developer has another window to display the PRINT or DBMS_OUTPUT results ... but I still want to learn more about the initial variables of a program, thought ... O.O"
Anyway, thank you for your post, debasisdas ^^

INSERT INTO EMPLOYEE VALUES ('John', 'B', 'Smith', 099999781, '09-JAN-65', 731 Fondren Houston TX', 'M', 30000, 333445555, 5);
INSERT INTO EMPLOYEE
VALUES ('John', 'B', 'Smith', 099999781, '09-JAN-65', '731 Fondren Houston TX', 'M', 30000, 333445555, 5);

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.