Hi Friends

I am working as an asst. DBA in a Software Company. I am using SQL SERVER and Oracle 9i both to create and maintain database.
I am also pursuing my administration in Oracle. I usually analyze that most of the companies with high profile are using Oracle and SAP as Databases. My question is Why and How a company can decide , which database or technology do it require for its database.

Can we rate different technologies like Oracle, SAP,DB2, SQL Server on priority bases? If Yes then how can we priorities one over another??

thanx in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You need to decide based on your organizational needs.

Offcourse we need to decide as per the organizational needs, but the question is same, what needs diffrentaite them. Or lets take like that, how company decides that it need to use SAP or Oracle. what are the features that differentiate them??

one factor is how much they can spend on hardware and software.

Offcourse we need to decide as per the organizational needs, but the question is same, what needs diffrentaite them. Or lets take like that, how company decides that it need to use SAP or Oracle. what are the features that differentiate them??

Hello,

I'm in MAPFRE (Spain);

We have multiples RDBMS, as IDMS (old RDBMS) and the new RDBMS (Oracle 11g) IDMS-> Migration -> Oracle11g

But we have other types of databases as CVS or Documentum or Cognos ¿Why? Because, for example, Oracle is not optimal for CVS;

another example: The RDBMS is very old and we migrate all the bussines in a new RDBMS (Oracle 11g); the migration isn't immediately, and the time to migrate (1 year to 2 year) the 2 RDBMS work in Parallel.

Sorry, but my level english is very poor.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.