I had two versions of SQLEXPRESS on my computer earlier ,now I have uninstalled 2012 SQLEXPRESS from my computer
Now when I try to attach .MDF file made in 2012 version it gives me error.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
------------------------------

Attach database failed for Server 'My-PC\SQLEXPRESS'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.50.1750.9+((dac_inplace_upgrade).101209-1051+)&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Attach+database+Server&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

The database 'C:\USERS\Fullpath\PAY.MDF' cannot be opened because it is version 706. This server supports version 655 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.
Could not open new database 'C:\USERS\Fullpath\PAY.MDF'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 948)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=948&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Is there any way to do that without installing back the 2012 version ..Currently I'm running on 2008 version.

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I may be no expert on the Microsoft sql server but a few things do appear obvious. One is that if you want the version 2008 to read the file then you will need to convert the file to a 2008 file aka the 655 or earlier datatype indicated in the error message. To do so I would emajine you would get both database engines accisible from the same system and retrieve records from one database while inserting into the older version. Note that this will most likely require a script weather it's php or some other language to process the results. But if it's possible to just upgrade the problem program it would probably be easier to do so.

So if I have to attach the file I have to re install 2012 version and then I can.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.