I've been requested to update a segment of a database, and given that it's kind of longish, I was looking for some way to directly write the data I've got from a file into the DB. I know it can be done via a third party; I have used Delphi for similar stuff before, and will probably fall back on it again, since this is time-critical, but I was wondering: Is there anything in PostgreSQL itself that allows the database to read statements from a file and act on them without the need of a third-party product or program?

Mostly Curious,
-EnderX

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I've been requested to update a segment of a database, and given that it's kind of longish, I was looking for some way to directly write the data I've got from a file into the DB. I know it can be done via a third party; I have used Delphi for similar stuff before, and will probably fall back on it again, since this is time-critical, but I was wondering: Is there anything in PostgreSQL itself that allows the database to read statements from a file and act on them without the need of a third-party product or program?

Mostly Curious,
-EnderX

what format is the file in? csv?

in MySql there is the LOAD DATA INFILE command. Perhaps PostGre has support for it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.