I'm just laying here in bed browsing DaniWeb on my iPhone and I randomly clicked a link to the RSS feed. An iOS dialogue box popped up saying it was going to open in the News App. Then the Apple News app opened and it proceeded to tell me that this news feed is not available. Why not? Is it in the wrong format? I thought I had a valid RSS feed? It's obnoxious to type out the URL to the RSS feed from my phone but there should be a link right below.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I assume you tried other RSS feeds to be sure it wasn't a configuration issue?

What configuration? Never used the app before. When it didn't like DaniWeb's feed, it gave me other out of the box choices like CNN with no issue. Didn't notice any config options or settings of any kind.

Well that's a bummer that it supports ATOM but not RSS. I wonder why that is? Isn't RSS more popular? Or at least it used to be. JSON seems to be the desired format nowadays.

I'm not sure it still supports ATOM, this is why I suggested to load an atom feed from some website and see if it works.

I suppose Apple, Google & FB are trying to bind publishers to their platforms by offering a rich content experience. See for example the AMP project by Google and Instant Articles by FB:

Instant Articles, in particular accepts RSS feeds but a variant, specific to their platform. So you must create an ad-hoc feed for them.

The "nice" thing about "standards" is that there are so many! GAH!

I suppose Apple, Google & FB are trying to bind publishers to their platforms by offering a rich content experience.

That's perfectly fine with the exception of iOS Safari gives me no other options when I click on an RSS link than to open it in Apple News, which then proceeds to be unable to open it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.