Hi
I wrote a visual basic program years ago for a friend. I retained the source, but I get a load error on some of the files. Apparently they are saved in binary (or tokenized?) format. I would like to read them so I can update the program and even reconnect with the logic. I am unsure of the version, but my guess is visual basic 5.0. The unreadable files are attached.

I would apreciate any help I could get on this. Thanks in advance

DonCarmelo

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Hi,

Welcome to DaniWeb.

How have you tried to read them ? What have you done so far ?

Denis

I think you are out of luck. See here.

Hi Denis
I tried to read them in visual basic 6.0, quickbasic and visualbasic 2005. The indication is that they are binary files. Also tried to read as text in wordpad and notepad. Result was wingdings,iow text representatives of token, I guess.

DonCarmelo

Hi Duoas

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Altho the error message said binary files, they were not compiled files. I believe the source was tokenized

Regards
Doncarmelo

If I remember correctly, an earlier version of Visual Basic used to save files in binary format as the default (which loaded faster), with the option of saving them in text format. You'll have to load them in an older version and resave them in text format

I have just tried opening them in VB5 but it says they are binary, so I guess it will need to be an earlier version.

Denis

I believe the last VB version to use binary (tokenized) source files was 3.

Hi

I guess I had written that program much earlier than I thought if vers. 5 failed (as I have determined that 6 failed). Unfortunately I don't still have earlier version. Can anyone help?

Don [TEX][/TEX]Carmelo

Yes!

http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread14708.html

This is a good lead. I was able to download the first 3 disks, but then got a message that downloads exceeded, try later.

Ok, suppose I try later and then succeed in downloading all disks. Am I allowed to install and use the software?

Carmelo

The site says:

"This is ONLY for LEGAL users of VB Pro 3 ... everyone else stay out!!!"

Since you have BINARY saved code, I'm guessing that is proof of your rights.

Of, Course, I'd have a good AV program running at all times because this is, after all, the internet.

ATB,
tom

I understand. True, I must have had VB3 at some point.

Thx again

Carmelo

Hi
I wrote a visual basic program years ago for a friend. I retained the source, but I get a load error on some of the files. Apparently they are saved in binary (or tokenized?) format. I would like to read them so I can update the program and even reconnect with the logic. I am unsure of the version, but my guess is visual basic 5.0. The unreadable files are attached.

I would apreciate any help I could get on this. Thanks in advance

DonCarmelo

The files are in VB 3 Binary format. I provide a service to convert VB 3 binary to VB 3 text format. See http://www.gridlinx.com or contact me directly at lissauer@earthlink.net

George

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.