Helo everybody..im new to the forum n these days iv been streesed uip with my project.
wanted to know if perl would be a good choice to implement an automatic program to extract text from online biomedical jounals(can b pdf or html format),categorise and summarise the text and keep it in a db.
thnx

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Perl would be a very good language to do this in. I worked on a school project last semester where I grabbed news articles off of the internet and stored them into a database so that another program could analyze them. The hard part is getting the information you want out of the pages... You might try looking at the HTML-Parser perl module to get you started.

extracting data from a pdf file could be difficult. I have seen many questions posted on forums over the years dealing with pdf files and it seems the perl modules there are for reading pdf files may leave something to be desired. The rest should be relatively easy but probably not for a beginner.

thanx...this is my university project n im completely loss...iv bin tryg to study n learn perl bt its a challenging task n iv got a ime limitation.what if i shift to php??n can perlscript be run from php...
i mean working perlscript as a backend to deal with some task like z parsing and all oher task accomplised throgh php??

if you have php questions ask them in the php forum, but I am sure a php script can run a perl program. But if you are at a total loss as to how to even start your project, I really have no idea what to suggest.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.