Hey guys, I am having trouble with this If satement. heres the code that i have so far:

If Val(TextBox1.Text) = Val(TextBox3.Text) And Val(TextBox2.Text) = Val(TextBox4.Text) Then
     Label6.Text = "Students share 2 Subjects"
End If

If Val(TextBox1.Text) = Val(TextBox4.Text) And Val(TextBox2.Text) = Val(TextBox3.Text) Then
     Label6.Text = "Students share 2 Subjects"
End If

If Val(TextBox1.Text) = Val(TextBox3.Text) Or Val(TextBox2.Text) = Val(TextBox4.Text) Then
     Label6.Text = "Students share 1 Subject"
     If Val(TextBox2.Text) = Val(TextBox3.Text) Or Val(TextBox1.Text) = Val(TextBox4.Text) Then
          Label6.Text = "Students share 1 Subject"
     End If
End If

If Val(TextBox1.Text) <> Val(TextBox3.Text) And Val(TextBox2.Text) <> Val(TextBox4.Text) Then
     Label6.Text = "Students share 0 subjects"
End If
If Val(TextBox1.Text) <> Val(TextBox4.Text) And Val(TextBox2.Text) <> Val(TextBox3.Text) Then
End If

And here's what im trying to achieve (DL pic file attatchment). So If the two subject codes are the same the label is meant to read "students share 2 subjects" and if only one subject code matches then the label is meant to read "students share 1 subject" and if no subjects match then "students share 0 subjects".

I haven't named the textboxes or labels yet, so TextBox1 and TextBox2 are the subjects of Student 1 and TextBox3 and TextBox4 are the subjects of Student 2. Label6 is wehre the "students share x subject(s)"!!

Thank you very much for any help....I'm new to vb.net and appreciate any help given, Thank you very much!!!!

Hey there ferrier, couldn't you just shorten that whole piece of code down to just 3 statements? I've done it here (without using Val, you can add it if you want and such):

If TextBox1.Text = TextBox3.Text And TextBox2.Text = TextBox4.Text Or TextBox1.Text = TextBox4.Text And TextBox2.Text = TextBox3.Text Then
            Label6.Text = "Students share 2 subjects"
        ElseIf TextBox1.Text = TextBox3.Text And TextBox2.Text <> TextBox4.Text Or TextBox1.Text = TextBox4.Text And TextBox2.Text <> TextBox3.Text Or TextBox2.Text = TextBox4.Text And TextBox1.Text <> TextBox3.Text Or TextBox2.Text = TextBox3.Text And TextBox1.Text <> TextBox4.Text Then
            Label6.Text = "Students share 1 subject"
        Else
        End If

I think it works with every option if it doesn't then I'd have to sit down and work through it some more. Aye the middle elseif is just one huge statement lol.

Hope it works.

mhmm, looks like the VB.net highlighting syntax is incomplete :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.