i have 2 tables with same fields except that table2 has 1 additional field..but otherwise table1 and table2 have same fields and have different number of records in each and each row in each table could be the same or completely different..

i am trying to add the distinct values of one field in table1 and compare it with the values of the same field in table2 which exists in the datagridview. I am making a mistake in the cmd..i am not sure where..can u pls help me with this ?

Public Class Form2

Private Function GetMFGValues() As List(Of String)

Dim con As OleDbConnection = New OleDb.OleDbConnection("provider=microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;data source=C:\Documents and Settings\bashkark\Desktop\Final Database.mdb")

con.Open()

Dim lst As New List(Of String)

Dim values As New DataTable

Dim cmd As New OleDbCommand

cmd = New OleDbCommand("SELECT distinct MFG from table1", con)

Dim da As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter(cmd)

Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet()

da.Fill(ds, "table2")

DataGridView1.DataSource = ds.Tables("table2").DefaultView

For Each r As DataRow In values.Rows

lst.Add(r("MFG").ToString)

Next

lst.Clear()

Return lst

End Function

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim ValidList As List(Of String) = GetMFGValues()

If ValidList.Count > 0 Then

For Each r As DataGridViewRow In DataGridView1.Rows

If r.IsNewRow = False AndAlso Not TypeOf (r.Cells("MFG").Value) Is DBNull Then

If ValidList.Contains(r.Cells("MFG").Value.ToString) Then

r.Cells("MFG").Style.BackColor = Color.Green

End If

End If

Next

Else

MessageBox.Show("There are no values to highlight")

End If

End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click

End

End Sub

End Class

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

It seems to me you are clearing your list before returnging it from the function. Is that what you want to do?

Actually, the more I look at your code, the more confused I get. You have a select statement from Table1, but then you put it into a dataset with a table name of Table2. Then you put the values into a generic list, but then clear the list before returning it???

asnider..u r right.. lst.clear had to be under a catch exception.. i am modifying my code now.. i am gonna post it again..sorry abt that..

So did that solve the problem?

ya snider got it.. :) i shall post the soln as soon as i get a chance..

thanks for ur help and asking :) i appreciate it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.