Hello,

I need to read mp4 video files, perform basic (simple file cut) on-line editing functions and write edited files to disk.

Question: Is there a means to programmatically access the video file playing time file information without having to play the file on media video player such as Quick time player and similar?

Without the exact knowledge of the playing time i will have to use unrelliable approximations.

I looked at the "video file inspector report " from the presentation tab of the Quick time player and similar player , and tried to establish a relation between file size, frame per seconds, sampling rates , throughput (kbits/secs) and playing time, but calculation results are not consistant with real playing time.

Thanks

monere

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You need to search out the binary AVI file format and read the file header. The length should be in the header.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.