Hi guys , after finishing my text based game , when i send the executable file to my friend he cannot open it .. he get an error that smth is wrong in configs file .. he also has framework installed

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Actually this is not very C++ related I think, but OK, can you tell me what error he's having and can you provide me a link to or attach the source of your game to this thread ?

The problem is most likely DLLs. I have seen similar error on Vista. Make sure you compile the program for Release mode, not Debug mode. How to do that will depend on the compiler you are using.

So you're saying that if you take the exact same exe and config file that works on your machine and transfer it to your friend's machine, it doesn't work?

Does he have the exact same OS as you? Has he installed your program in the same way as you have?

The problem is most likely DLLs. I have seen similar error on Vista. Make sure you compile the program for Release mode, not Debug mode. How to do that will depend on the compiler you are using.

well i gave him the executable file from debug folder .. how can i do what with release ?

So you're saying that if you take the exact same exe and config file that works on your machine and transfer it to your friend's machine, it doesn't work?

Does he have the exact same OS as you? Has he installed your program in the same way as you have?

i gave him just the executable file .. tried with all debug folder ..

@The error says that there is a problem with projects configs ... i dont have any weird thing ... just texts , ifs and whiles ..

> What IDE are you using, Code::Blocks ?
> In Code::Blocks it's easy: Somewhere on the toolbar there's a listbox called Build Target , here you can specify your build configuration :) ...

well i gave him the executable file from debug folder .. how can i do what with release ?

Yes, that is most likely the problem because the other computer doesn't have the compiler's debug dlls installed. How to get release mode depends on the compiler you used, which you failed to mention.

i use Visual Studio C++ 2008 , on Build Menu , it says Batch Build .. , i clicked Release and it compiled some stuff into release folder , but i dont see any exe in the folder .. what should i give him?

i use Visual Studio C++ 2008 , on Build Menu , it says Batch Build .. , i clicked Release and it compiled some stuff into release folder , but i dont see any exe in the folder .. what should i give him?

> Check out this page :) ...

1k thanks to all , its working

When you use Windows Explorer to navigate to the release folder it will look something like the attached. If there is no *.exe file then your compiler failed to build the program. Make sure there were no compile errors.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.