Member Avatar for sravan953

Hey,

I have a simple progam at hand....what I need now is a WYSIWYG(What You See Is What You Get) GUI Editor with which I can create good user interfaces without(or with very less) coding! Any ideas for such a program?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Also look into (wxPython is used by Boa and wxGlade):
Starting wxPython (GUI code)
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread128350.html

and:
Python GUI Programming
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread191210.html

Some words of advice, GUI programming will be a steep learning curve. You have to rethink your approach to use the best GUI widget/component to do what you want. For instance, most GUI toolkits will give a large number of input (text entry, sliders, check boxes, radio buttons, list boxes ...) and output (labels, sound, image, canvas, plotters, spreadsheet ...) devices. A GUI Builder will only position the selected widget on a window/frame, you still have to write the code to make it do something.

I look at this way, console programs are for learning Python, GUI programs are for showing what you have learned. Learn Python coding real well, then apply it to a GUI!

Just in case you don't fine wxGlade or BoaConstructor to be quite what you need (or if you just can't get past how ugly they are), you can try QtDesigner for pyQT (comes with the pyQT package).

Just in case you don't fine wxGlade or BoaConstructor to be quite what you need (or if you just can't get past how ugly they are), you can try QtDesigner for pyQT (comes with the pyQT package).

Be sure first you like their GPL/Commercial licence. I lately visited PyQT web and sad enough, they still stick to their Old bad (at least to me) Licence. I would like to see them switching to LGPL as the QT 4.5.x That would be great!

Beauty and henceforth ugly is in the eye of the beholder!

Actually, the QT_Designer is pretty good and gives XML code that can be converted to a seemingly complex looking Python code.

commented: not seemingly, it is complex. But people who use gui builders generally don't care about this sort of stuff. +6

I have never done RAD GUI designing.
I tried recently wxGlade and In minutes I was able to do alot. It is ugly but really powerful. It generates clean pyCode and I recommend it. Take simple tutorial it come with and there you have your flight. I think it should have been designed like wxformbuilder but I thank them even for "ugly" wxglade

commented: props to you for being able to stand the ugliness. +6

I used to program with Delphi for many years, pretty much the original RAD. It used object Pascal and had a great form designer. Lots of folks supplied components/widgets for it. However, Borland started screwing around with it, bringing out expensive new versions frequently, making older versions incompatible to cash in. Eventually Microsoft hired the original designer away to create C# for them.

To make a short story long, Boa Constructor reminds me a lot of the early Delphi version. Quite a bit less friendly than Delphi. The nice thing about Delphi was that the design window and code window were always linked and visible, and it generated executables and ran them in record time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.