Can Someone tell me why these files won't compile on unix but work fine (mostly) in windows?

It looks like unix-land doesn't load the variables from the inherited class QueueArray into the proper scope.

prog5.cpp is supposed to create 3 different types of Deque classes.
each Deque inherits from ArrayQueue

Your help is greatly appreciated =)
Thanks everyone

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Can Someone tell me why these files won't compile on unix but work fine (mostly) in windows?

It looks like unix-land doesn't load the variables from the inherited class QueueArray into the proper scope.

prog5.cpp is supposed to create 3 different types of Deque classes.
each Deque inherits from ArrayQueue

Your help is greatly appreciated =)
Thanks everyone

One thing that immediately strikes me is that you are using #pragma once, which as far as I am aware is a preprocessor command that is used solely by Microsoft compilers. So perhaps using traditional inclusion guards might help here. e.g.

#ifndef SYMBOLNAME_DEFINED
#define SYMBOLNAME_DEFINED

// The rest of your header code goes here

#endif // SYMBOLNAME_DEFINED

I'm thinking that because gcc doesn't recognise the #pragma command, it therefore sees no inclusion guards in your code. So perhaps that could be causing things to go a little screwy with gcc.

Also between lines 45 and 46 of the bool Deque<T>::dequeueBack(T &itemRef) function in "Deque.h" you need to add a 'return true', otherwise you'll get some errors or warnings from the compiler (in both *nix and microsoft environments.)

I've not got a *nix box in front of me at the moment, so I can't test this, but replacing all instances of '#pragma once' with traditional (gcc and MS compatible) inclusion guards and then adding the 'return true' to "Deque.h" would at least be a step in the right direction, if not the complete solution to your problem!

Anyway, give that a go and let me know how you get on!
Cheers for now,
Jas.

Aha,
I've just fired up one of my linux boxes, I've created a project in codeblocks using your files. I've made my suggested changes and and tried compiling... And there are still compiler errors.

The problem seems to be regarding the base class members (from ArrayQueue.h) in the Deque class. For some reason g++ doesn't seem to recognise the protected members from ArrayQueue.h like front, back, count, items etc.

I'm not sure if there's a compiler switch to enable the compiler to recognise these correctly, but I've found that if you reference the base-class members using the 'this' pointer in Deque.h, then the compiler errors disappear.

Here's a snippet from Deque.h to show you what I mean:

template <class T>
bool Deque<T>::dequeueBack(T &itemRef){
	if (this->isEmpty()){//cannot dequeue
		//cout<<"Empty dequeueBack in Dequeue\n";
		return false;
	}
	else{//procede dequeuing
		itemRef= this->items[this->back];
		if (this->back==0)
			this->back = MaxQueue-1;
		else
			this->back--;

}
	this->count--;
	return true;
}

Anyways, the program now compiles without errors or warnings on windows and *nix. A .zip is attached with my changes applied.

In order to ensure that my changes haven't introduced any bugs to your code (apologies if any have crept in there!); you might want to ensure that the program still works in the way you originally intended it to.

Cheers for now,
Jas.

[EDIT]
p.s. I'm fairly new to *nix programming myself...Up until recently I've only ever developed on Windows (so yes, I'm a bit wintarded!). The little *nix programming I have done so far has been for my own amusement.
Anyways, out of curiosity I've done a bit of digging on other forums on this matter and it seems that on *nix, the 'this->' syntax is the norm when attempting to access base class members in derived types.
As far as I understand it, when 'this' is used; if the G++ compiler cannot find a class member/variable in the local scope it will also look for it in any base classes.
I'm not sure if 'this' is needed to access the base class members of all derived types or whether it is only templates that require it.

It works wonderfully =) So far it appears that no errors have been introduced. You really are amazing.

Thank you very much for you help with that.

So, mark as solved?

So, mark as solved?

I knew I forgot something
Thanks XD

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.