I have a combo box that needs to be autoupdatable. I know you can set the AutoCompleteMode to SuggestAppend and have the combobox suggest as you type values that are in a combobox's items list. My question is this, Is there a way to have this same functionality happen with a databound combobox? I have a combobox that is bound to a Dataset and it will only suggest the first letter typed in the items list. If I type a different letter it jumps to another section in the list corresponding to the new letter typed.

Does anyone know how I can get around this and have the SuggestAppend functionality be available in a databound combobox?

I am still struggling with this challenge. Here is some code that i'm trying to automate. I like the concept of this autocomplete logic but I need the following combobox to be databound.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could accomplish this using the same logic pasted below?

Imports System.IO
Public Class Form1
    Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        Me.Text = "DevAsp AutoComplete Combo"
        Button1.Text = "Load"
        button2.Text = "Auto Complete ON"
        button3.Text = "Auto Complete OFF"

ComboBox1.Items.Clear()
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("ABCDEF")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("ACDEF")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("ADEF")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("ADEF")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("AEF")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("AFSDF")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("BABCD")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("BBCD")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("BCDBA")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("CDBA")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("CBA")

End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        ComboBox1.Items.Clear()
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("ZBCDEF")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("XCDEF")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("VDEF")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("BDEF")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("BEF")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("MFSDF")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("MTBCD")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("MTCD")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("MTYCA")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("JDBA")
        ComboBox1.Items.Add("CBA")

End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
        ComboBox1.AutoCompleteMode = AutoCompleteMode.SuggestAppend
        ComboBox1.AutoCompleteSource = AutoCompleteSource.ListItems
        ComboBox1.Focus()

End Sub

Private Sub Button3_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button3.Click
        ComboBox1.AutoCompleteMode = AutoCompleteMode.None
        ComboBox1.AutoCompleteSource = AutoCompleteSource.None
        ComboBox1.Focus()
    End Sub
END CLASS
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.