Okay so the object is to print a wheel based on the user's input of the inner and outer radii. I've written a program that checks to see if the distance of the x and y is within the radius. However, i get some weird stretched out tire. If anyone could tell me what i'm doing wrong I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is my code:

#include <stdio.h>

int main (void){

int outer, inner, y,x;

printf("What is the outter radius of your tire?\n");
scanf("%d", &outer);

printf("What is the inner radius of your tire?\n");
scanf("%d", &inner);

for(x=-outer; x<=outer; x++){//sets row = -bigradius and increments all the way to +bigradius

for(y=-outer; y<=outer; y++){//sets columns = -bigradius and increments all the way to +bigradius

if((x*x)+(y*y)<=1)//Tests if the radial distance is less than 1. If so print a +.

printf("+");

else if((x*x)+(y*y)<=(inner*inner))//Test if the radial distance is less than or equal to the inner radius. If so print a $.

printf("$");

else if((x*x)+(y*y)<=(outer*outer))//Tests if radial distance is less or equal to outer radius. If so prints a *.

printf("*");

else if((x*x)+(y*y)>=(outer*outer))//Checks to see if the distance is greater than the outer radius. If so goes to new line.

printf("\n");

}
}

return 0;

}

And the out out i get from this is:

What is the outter radius of your tire?
What is the inner radius of your tire?

*********$*********

******$$$$$$$$$******

*****$$$$$$$$$$$$$*****

*****$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$*****

****$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$****

*****$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$*****

****$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$****

****$$$$$$$$$+$$$$$$$$$****
****$$$$$$$$$+++$$$$$$$$$****
****$$$$$$$$$+$$$$$$$$$****

*****$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$*****

****$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$****

*****$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$*****

*****$$$$$$$$$$$$$*****

******$$$$$$$$$******

*********$*********

Since you didn't bother formatting your code, it's hard to follow. My guess is you're outputting your \n at the wrong time.

Sorry about not formatting my code. However, I know that the obvious mistake is somewhere with the new line character. I just can't think of where else I can put it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.