hey! i want to give scjp this year and i have herbert schildt. i am reading it these days. but, my friends are saying that i should also take SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Exam 310-065
By Katherine Sierra, Bert Bates.

what u say ? is it good to take and read from that ? or herbert is sufficient to make all concepts clear? please help!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

first of all, SCJP doesn't exist any more :)
the name changed when Oracle took Java over.

AFAIK, Schildt didn't write a book that has as goal to succeed in the certification exam, so I'm not sure which one you are talking about, but when I obtained my certificate, all I used was the book by Katherine Sierra and Bert Bates, and I can assure you, it's a good choice.

Katherine Sierra helped deciding what would be covered on the exam, so it's a safe bet to say she knew what to put in the book. it covers all you need to know, and, as can be expected from a certification, goes a lot deeper in the technical details than most 'regular' Java books, so it would be an asset (to at least read this book).

NOTE: the name of the exam may have changed, the contents is still the same, so the book you mentioned is still all you need to have to pass the exam (well, that and some time to study :) )

first of all, SCJP doesn't exist any more :)
the name changed when Oracle took Java over.

AFAIK, Schildt didn't write a book that has as goal to succeed in the certification exam, so I'm not sure which one you are talking about, but when I obtained my certificate, all I used was the book by Katherine Sierra and Bert Bates, and I can assure you, it's a good choice.

Katherine Sierra helped deciding what would be covered on the exam, so it's a safe bet to say she knew what to put in the book. it covers all you need to know, and, as can be expected from a certification, goes a lot deeper in the technical details than most 'regular' Java books, so it would be an asset (to at least read this book).

NOTE: the name of the exam may have changed, the contents is still the same, so the book you mentioned is still all you need to have to pass the exam (well, that and some time to study :) )

is everything related to the syllabus of scjp is covered in this book which u r telling? is syallabus is given on net ?

there's only the exam, and books that are focusing on helping you pass them. there is no real 'official' syllabus for the exam, AFAIK.
there's a book in the Head First series to cover what you need to know, but when I was deciding on a book, I chose the book by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates, and I haven't regretted that one minute.

if you want to know the main topics of the exam, those can be found online right here

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.