when I run eclipse (just downloaded the 32 bit version from the website) it gives an error dialog that says 'a java runtime enviroment or java development kit just be available in order to run Eclipse. No java virtual machine was found after searching the following locations: " and it gives an address that doesnt seem to exist, \eclipse-SKD-4.2.2-win32\eclipse\jre\bin\javaw.exe'. there is no jre folder in the eclipse folder (which I unzippd). where do I get the jre/jdk, which one do I need to write code, and where do i save it?

You need a JDK (Java Development Kit) from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html
The installer will put it in a default location, which is normally best. Eclipse should find it when you re-start Eclipse after installing the JDK.
If yo have no previous experience of Java I strongly recommend that you do not start with Eclipse. Eclipse is a tool for expert developers with a very steep learning curve of its own. Learning Java and Eclipse simultaneously is not a good idea.
Most experienced developers here will recommend getting a decent programmer's editor (eg Notepad++) and working with the compiler in the JDK until you have a good basic command of Java. Only then will you benefit from a heavy-weight IDE like Eclipse or NetBeans

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.