I'm new to Vb and need some of your EXPERT help!:mrgreen:
What I need to write or copy is a script that will
1. shut down log file services on windows 2003 server
2. copy the application/security/event files to a .csv file
3 delete entries on the logs
4 restart the log file service
nice to include is that the script runs automatically on the 5th day of the month.

Has this already been written? If so where can I get a copy? IF not who can help create such a script

Thanks
Campfishitus
email campfishitus@yahoo.com
Name came from my 2 favorite things to do Camping and Fishing the itus is just the notation of a diesese

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

This might be done in a batch file:

@echo off                                 # Don't tell what steps are involved
net stop eventlog                         # Shut off the event logger
copy <logfilesource> <logfiledest>        # Be sure to insert the actual source and dest paths
del <logfilesource>                       # Again, insert the actual path
net start eventlog                        # Turn the event logger back on

Then simply run the batch file (logbackup.bat, for example) from Task Scheduler (or whatever it's been renamed to in Server 2003).

Of course, it's always possible I misunderstood exactly what you were aiming to do.

- Sendoshin

you could even do those steps in a VB app by itself (although, I don't see the point when the batch file works just fine). You could also make the vb app mess with services using the API

Public Declare Function OpenService Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "OpenServiceA" (ByVal hSCManager As Long, ByVal lpServiceName As String, ByVal dwDesiredAccess As Long) As Long
Public Declare Function StartService Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "StartServiceA" (ByVal hService As Long, ByVal dwNumServiceArgs As Long, ByVal lpServiceArgVectors As Long) As Long
Public Declare Function ControlService Lib "advapi32.dll" (ByVal hService As Long, ByVal dwControl As Long, lpServiceStatus As SERVICE_STATUS) As Long
Public Declare Function EnumDependentServices Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "EnumDependentServicesA" (ByVal hService As Long, ByVal dwServiceState As Long, lpServices As ENUM_SERVICE_STATUS, ByVal cbBufSize As Long, pcbBytesNeeded As Long, lpServicesReturned As Long) As Long

Public Declare Function OpenSCManager Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "OpenSCManagerA" (ByVal lpMachineName As String, ByVal lpDatabaseName As String, ByVal dwDesiredAccess As Long) As Long
Public Declare Function EnumServicesStatus Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "EnumServicesStatusA" (ByVal hSCManager As Long, ByVal dwServiceType As Long, ByVal dwServiceState As Long, lpServices As Any, ByVal cbBufSize As Long, pcbBytesNeeded As Long, lpServicesReturned As Long, lpResumeHandle As Long) As Long
Public Declare Function CloseServiceHandle Lib "advapi32.dll" (ByVal hSCObject As Long) As Long

but I think the batch file is an easier, and more effecient way to go.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.