hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help me, first of all im new to asp.net and am trying to learn it.

Right, i have developed a website locally which works fine, but when uploading it to my host i am receiving a runtime error on the pages that interact with the database.

Specifically:
========
Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".
========

The thing is a do have custom errors set to off, so dont no why i am not getting an in depth error.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

g

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have the exact same problem,
(sorry i opened new thread on the same thing, some how i missed this thread.)

Are you in the root folder of the website and/or web application?

Meaning: Do you have www.yourwebsite.com or is it a situation like www.sharedwebsite/yourdirectory? In the case of the latter, did the website owner configure "yourdirectory" as its own application in IIS?

You need to have a web.config file in the root of the application, be it the total website (in the case of the former) or in the subdirectory that is a also configured as an application (in the case of the latter). Set custom errors equal to off, change the debug mode equal to true, and then you can see the precise error message you're receiving.

You should also confirm that the site supports the version of .NET you are using. If you are running .NET 2.0, for example, confirm that the application is not configured for 1.1. If you are trying to run 3.5, confirm that the server has 3.5 installed and the web application is configured to run 2.0 (3.5 runs on top of 2.0).

Hi apegram,

turned out i didnt upload a web config for a sub directory, and now i have meaningful errors :)

Many Thanks
g

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.