I am facing a lot of issues in the performance optimization of my web application. Can anybody help?
I have heard about reducing page load time, minimizing render-blocking resources, and optimizing images. But I don't know how to do it. Can anyone please share some techniques or tools you would use or are using to achieve these optimizations?"

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

So I looked at the Pixabulous Designs site and it seems fine. Also with about 10 other employees what do others at your company use?

Reducing page load time:
  • Use a CDN such as Cloudflare or Fastly to serve your static images, javascript files, CSS files, etc.
  • Make sure that your web server is as fast as it can be; If using PHP, use Opcache, etc.
Minimizing render-blocking resources
  • Put critical JS and CSS files as HTTP link headers (Cloudflare automatically does this for you)
  • Don't use third-party Javascript and make sure all your JS is lean, and you are deferring JS that isn't immediately needed on page load

if you use javascript, or any programming language, you can cut out a lot of processor time by being smart in the program logic.
eg. if you do a loop, work out data you can before the loop eg.

$.each(myArray, function(item){
    var now = moment(myDate);
    //do something with now
})

//VS

var now = moment(myDate);
$.each(myArray, function(item){
    //do something with now
})

The first one will run moment(myDate); for every item in the array, the second does it only once.

Goes for any kind of program logic, try and solve things in a way that is simple.

I think the worst for performance are the ones that influence graphics and resizing the document, so for instance rather than forcing a gradient resize, you could make it wait until the resize has finished then render the page only once.

Also the Server & database can often do things much faster than the client side, so you can utilise that as well.

or create a cache of commonly needed data that is very fast to access, Redis is very good for fast caching data in memory

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.