I tried searching for this topic but couldn't find anything posted about this. When I make new favorites, sometimes the site has a custom icon and is then shown in the favorites. But, they seem to disappear on me, and now I'm back to all of them being the default IE favorite icon. The last thing I did when some icons disappeared was run a virus scan, after that, all remaining custom icons were gone. Anyone have any recommendations?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi,

This happens because of a few reasons:

- You've 'cleaned' the hard drive, emptying your browser cache

- You've had a browser window 'crash', corrupting your 'favicons'

or a few other reasons. The best way to fix it is to delete the website's 'Favourites' entry, and then add it again.

I tried searching for this topic but couldn't find anything posted about this. When I make new favorites, sometimes the site has a custom icon and is then shown in the favorites. But, they seem to disappear on me, and now I'm back to all of them being the default IE favorite icon. The last thing I did when some icons disappeared was run a virus scan, after that, all remaining custom icons were gone. Anyone have any recommendations?

Favorite icons will disappear after a while, they are not permanent (part of the History). Here's FavOrg, and an article on it: Clean Up Your Favorites.

heh heh..

I saw an article recently on how to make them 'stick'.

This question has made me wish I remembered where I saw it, as I'd like to use it myself!

Edit: Here it is!

Revisit the site. That should make the favicon reload into the browser cache. If not, delete the Faourites entry and add it again.

When you've got them all back, download install and use FavOrg
http://www.pctip.ch/downloads/dl/18699.asp

Ooops - beaten! :lol:

Wow, thanks for the quick responses everyone, I'm glad I'm not the only one plagued by this.

I had the same problem to. I did a disk cleanup and they all were gone, I've went to A LOT of webt sites to get help but no one knew what the hell i was talking about. I some how got 2 icons back. And I tried what you said, deleted them from my favorites and readded them but only one came back, the others wont. What gives?

have the same problem with IE 7 so I removed ie 7 and all the favocons came back !!1 So I thought "Good I'll down load IE 7 again" Well there gone again :( Go Fish

I discovered that some of them change when certain software downloads occur. The program that downloaded "took" the files and put its own icon on them.

have the same problem with IE 7 so I removed ie 7 and all the favocons came back !!1 So I thought "Good I'll down load IE 7 again" Well there gone again :( Go Fish

That's because the icons are in the files of the previous installation.

I have had a similar problem for years. My letters in my icons and in explorer disappear and the only way to recover them is to reboot.
Then I surf for several more hours, they deteriorate and turn blank and the only thing to do is reboot again.

Member Avatar for willis100

There is no answer here....I'll check back again sometime...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.