I have a new Asus A7VT Terminator barebones system and 2 identical sticks of TwinMOS 128MB PC2700 DDR-DIMM. The CPU is an AMD Sempron 2400+.

The PC will POST fine with 1 DIMM installed. It doesn't matter which DIMM or socket used. The Award BIOS recognizes it as DDR333 and the BIOS will automatically set the DRAM frequency to 166MHz. If I install a second DIMM, though, the PC will not POST. I've tried manually setting all the timings to safe values and tried the BIOS's preset "Safe" timing options. The only way I can get it to POST with the 2 TwinMOS DIMMS is to manually set the DRAM freqency to 133MHz.

I tried the 2 TwinMOS DIMMs in another PC and it worked fine at 166MHz. I tried 2 sticks of Buffalo PC3200 256MB DIMMs with the Asus and it worked fine. It seems to be something with 2 TwinMOS DIMMs and the Asus MB.

Asus support hasn't called me back as promised after all their techs were busy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh

Is the board dual channel? It sounds like that memory just might not be compatible with the board. I'd look at RMA'ing it, or at least trading a friend, etc.

Yes, it's dual channel. It has a VIA KM266 Pro chipset. The memory from my other system that worked fine is Buffalo PC3200 DDR. I can get the TwinMOS to work with both DIMMs installed, but I have to manually set the BIOS DRAM Freq. to 133MHz instead of 166MHz. The TwinMOS worked fine in my other system as DDR at 166MHz

Thanks,

Josh

I would suspect an incompatibility, personally. Is swapping/returning for credit an option on that RAM?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.