I will try to make this as short as possible.

I bought a new flat screen monitor (Samsung) for my Dell desktop. When I hooked it, the computer comes on and starts to hum along, but the LED light on the monitor starts to flash. Called Samsung and they told me to try a different monitor. So I hooked my old Dell CRT monitor. It doesn't work either. I am baffled. I haven't used that computer since I left school and I just unpacked it the other day when I hooked up the monitor. This computer is barely a year old (but just old enough for the warranty to expire. grr.). I'm thinking that maybe this is a video card issue. A friend of mine installed a new video card (Radeon something)in it this spring and it worked fine. I'm going back to school in a week and I need this piece of junk to work!

Any help would be appreciated beyond the point of decency!

Before you go nuts with all the various complicated fixes, make sure of the one simple thing: you are hooking up the monitor(s) to the video card, right? ;)

One thing to check...
Did you accidentally reverse the mouse and keyboard..?

You would not be the first to do it..

I double checked all the connections with the mouse and keyboard. My friend, the guy who installed the video card, and I opened the tower and checked to make sure everything was still intact and it was. So I called Dell and they don't really know what is wrong with it either.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.