Hi all
hope someone can help me
i have reciently come accross a problem where windows media playing when playing files on the web or on my pc playes sound ok but has no picture
i have run the usual programes adaware spybot avg system mechanic
i have also deinstalled it and reinstalled it with the same problem existing

Shaun :rolleyes:

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Having read around a little it seeems it mite be a problem with my codec files

does anyone know how to deinstall them or delete them

Shaun

Hi all
update
i have uninstalled all my codecs and reinstalled them stil to no avail

please please help

or mr format mite have to come and have a play

hi peeps
i have now solved this problem
FYI

i turned off hardware exceleration in my graphic card properties

Does it happen with every file you play ?

Yes it used to happen on all files

If turning hardware acceleration off helped the issue, then it could have something to do with your video card, or your video drivers. Have you updated the drivers, or changed your video card recently?

It sounds like you might have an issue with a function called overlay, which is a process your video card would use to perform MPEG decompression, and other tasks.

stupid needs help.....I registered and signed in, but can't figure out how to post a message only respond

thaks

stupid needs help.....I registered and signed in, but can't figure out how to post a message only respond

thaks

At the top of every forum, there's a "NEW THREAD" button. Choose your forum, and hit the NEW THREAD button in there.

Happy posting!

I had that type of problem, and deleted and then re-installed Windows Media Player and Storm Codecs---to no avail---the visual representation of the Windows Media Player remained absent, although I could hear files being played when they had been "double-clicked" on in Windows Explorer. Then I remembered that sometimes I put certain programs on my second monitor, which being a CRT, I leave off when I am not using it. I turned on the second monitor, and there was my Windows Media Player video output---all ready to drag back onto my primary monitor.

Douglas Hopp

Having a strange issue here... o,O;

WMP 10 on WinXP Pro 2.8ghz with 1.5GB mem.

WMP worked totally fine for me up until recently... (I upgraded to a larger HDD)

At the moment, it plays music, and videos too I think. I even ripped a CD the other day, so that works too...

It reacts like there are no Visualizations, no Equalizer, and when I enable SRS/WOW, it severely distorts the audio. It also distorts the audio when I attempt to use the Play Speed Settings... >,<;

I don't understand what the issue is. I have also rolled back to 9 and updated to 11, but neither of those worked either.

I've wiped everything I could find in the registry about Media Player and WMP, and that didn't do it either.

>,<; Please help me figure this out. I refuse to spend like $30 to email Microsoft. lol

I had that type of problem, and deleted and then re-installed Windows Media Player and Storm Codecs---to no avail---the visual representation of the Windows Media Player remained absent, although I could hear files being played when they had been "double-clicked" on in Windows Explorer. Then I remembered that sometimes I put certain programs on my second monitor, which being a CRT, I leave off when I am not using it. I turned on the second monitor, and there was my Windows Media Player video output---all ready to drag back onto my primary monitor.

Douglas Hopp

I saw your post (above). I have the exact same problem - I can see the video on my second monitor but not my primary monitor. I don't understand what you mean by "drag back onto my primary monitor"? How do I do that? thanks.

I had a picture using Windows Media Player, and now I don't. Might it be because i installed another video player and it botched up windows? I can get video images on different players on the computer, but no image with WMP.
I saw some of the advice in this thread about turning off hardware exceleration on graphic card - how do I acess this?
also, if that doesn't work, The drivers I thought that had solved this problem earlier - how do I access those? And if need be, should I uninstall what is on there, before I install a good driver, or should I just Install it anew?
Any help is appreciated.

I saw your post (above). I have the exact same problem - I can see the video on my second monitor but not my primary monitor. I don't understand what you mean by "drag back onto my primary monitor"? How do I do that? thanks.

If the Windows Media Player (or any other program window) is "MAXIMIZED" on any monitor (in case you have two or more monitors) the program's window cannot be dragged onto another monitor. In order to move/"drag" the program' s window onto another display monitor, a maximized window can be reduced to a partial window size (the middle or "Restore Down" option of the three small rectangles at the upper right corner of a windows program's display). (Note once the display window has been reduced to "Restore Down" size, the middle option is "Maximize".)

After "Restoring Down" to partial size, a Windows Media Player display window can be dragged onto another monitor's display area. Then once the program is exited, Windows Media Player will open next time it is started in this second monitor. Hence, if you had done as I had, and inadvertently closed this program previously while it was being displayed in a secondary monitor, and that monitor is turned off or removed from your system, you may have a quite mysterious inability to see the program, even if you can hear it playing files. Just follow the above instructions to restore the "phantom"/"cloaked" program to visibility. ...Sort of gives one a technique for frustrating someone deserving a retribution practical joke by moving the display window for one of their favorite programs onto a (non-existent) secondary monitor.

Hi all
hope someone can help me
i have recently come accross a problem where windows media playing when playing files on the web or on my pc playes sound ok but has no pictureShaun :rolleyes:

Hi - see this link for the solution:

NO PICTURE IN WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER
www.sherlock-holmes.co.uk/tips

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.