I got these old Native American pictures and they are .ART files. This is from when I had AoL online on a desktop way back when. I wanted to convert them to .PNG files but I can't even find a program to even open them with. I was thinking of downloading AoL just to install and open them and then convert but I was hoping someone here might have an idea of another program I could use.

I tried google for an answer and gave up after an hour of clicking links.

I tried so far and failed:
irfanview
MS paint
Internet explorer
Firefox
The gimp (ver 2.6.6)

I dont' have photoshop and am not buying it just for a few files.
I was going to try the gimp but for some reason I get an "access violation at address" message and guess I have to figure that out first.

I am not even sure AoL can open these but i loath to install it on my system and find out.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

hi, cant blame you for not wanting to install AOL, you say you searched with google ,di you come by this one ,info on using IE to convert .
http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-16505.html

Edit : i read a bit more and i guess IE has updated a long time ago a patch that stops IE from opening .ART files

I wonder...I have an old IE5 disk. I think I might try uninstalling and reinstalling the older versino

I wonder...I have an old IE5 disk. I think I might try uninstalling and reinstalling the older versino

wonder! might help,but i think its the patch update that will affect it not the ie version

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.