Hey Gang,
I'm running windows 98se with all the updates from MS. Here's my problem, Put a new dialup modem in my pc, loaded the drivers, everything went just fine, I can get on line, can do everything within windows. But when I try to change display resolution weather from control panel or right click desktop/properties/settings I get a dialog box telling me I'm trying to preform an illegal operation,operation will now close [rundll32 error]. don't know why putting a new modem would have anything to do with display settings, but prior to putting in the modem we had a bad electrical storm, power went out and the old modem cooked. Nothing has been the same since. Anyone got any idea's that may help me out? Thankyou.

Joe

I hope the lightening storm didnt ruin your computer somehow......

Have you tried restoring your registry to before you chanegd anything and see what happens then??

To restore:

1) Bootup and press F8 until you see a menu
2) Select option 5 (Command Prompt) and when your @ the prompt,type this: scanreg/restore
3) Restore an entry from before you installed the modem...

If this works,then there is a conflict of some kind with your modem.....

After you do this,you may have to re-install your new modem,but it will tell you if it is indeed the issue.....

Good luck -- Welcome to the site :)

I hope the lightening storm didnt ruin your computer somehow......

Have you tried restoring your registry to before you chanegd anything and see what happens then??

To restore:

1) Bootup and press F8 until you see a menu
2) Select option 5 (Command Prompt) and when your @ the prompt,type this: scanreg/restore
3) Restore an entry from before you installed the modem...

If this works,then there is a conflict of some kind with your modem.....

After you do this,you may have to re-install your new modem,but it will tell you if it is indeed the issue.....

Good luck -- Welcome to the site :)

Hey Dude,

Thanks for responding. Upon further troubleshooting I found that the real culprit was the old modem driver was not uninstalled before the new driver was installed. Don't know why modem driver conflicts would play a role in changing display settings,
but , I made the changes and all is well again. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.

slo_byrne1

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.